IDE or RAD tools

From
Terry Fielder
Date:
Can anyone recommend any Iintegrated Development Environment or Rapid
Application Development tools for hooking upto a PostgrSQL database?

In particular, I am looking for something that develops for Linux,
because that is what my server is, and I want the users to work thin
client.

I know fat client I can use anyones IDE based on the ODBC connection
(Ugh), but thin is so much easier to maintain/update.

Thanks!

Terry Fielder
Network Engineer
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes

Re: IDE or RAD tools

From
Gavin Sherry
Date:
Hi Terry,

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Terry Fielder wrote:

> Can anyone recommend any Iintegrated Development Environment or Rapid
> Application Development tools for hooking upto a PostgrSQL database?
>
> In particular, I am looking for something that develops for Linux,
> because that is what my server is, and I want the users to work thin
> client.

Unix (and therefore Linux) differ very much from Windows
environmentally. One of the best things about a GNU Unix systems is that
you basically have every possible tool at your finger tips. You should
consider the shell your IDE or RAD environment.

Need text highlighting?    -> Vim (some will say Emacs - they can both do it)

Need function definition marking? -> Vim/Emacs/grep

Debugging I hear you say -> GDB

Plug into Postgres to test a database schema or load -> /bin/sh + psql or
perl or make + psql

This is just a beginning. There is a reason why there are so few IDE/RAD
tools for Unix - Unix systems lend themselves to rapid developerment. You
could go down the Kylix (by Borland) road, but then you'd be developing
for Interbase; you could check out some of the desktop environment IDEs,
but then you'd be playing around with GTK+ or Qt.

Generally speaking, if you put a good programmer in front of a RAD or IDE,
he or she becomes less productive - just one more thing to
learn. Programmers type, they don't point and click =)

Hope this helps

Gavin

Re: IDE or RAD tools

From
Doug McNaught
Date:
Gavin Sherry <swm@linuxworld.com.au> writes:

> On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Terry Fielder wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommend any Iintegrated Development Environment or Rapid
> > Application Development tools for hooking upto a PostgrSQL database?
> >
> > In particular, I am looking for something that develops for Linux,
> > because that is what my server is, and I want the users to work thin
> > client.

[snippage]

> Need function definition marking? -> Vim/Emacs/grep

Plus ctags/etags.

> Debugging I hear you say -> GDB

Which has at least one X frontend--xxgdb.

> This is just a beginning. There is a reason why there are so few IDE/RAD
> tools for Unix - Unix systems lend themselves to rapid developerment. You
> could go down the Kylix (by Borland) road, but then you'd be developing
> for Interbase; you could check out some of the desktop environment IDEs,
> but then you'd be playing around with GTK+ or Qt.

Plus, if you're a follower of the Great God Emacs, you can use it as
an IDE--do all editing, compiling and testing within the editor.  You
can do a compile and jump directly to the location of each syntax
error, just as in an IDE.  Plus, the editor and its IDE extensions are
completely customizable and programmable (and, of course they are Free
Software).

> Generally speaking, if you put a good programmer in front of a RAD or IDE,
> he or she becomes less productive - just one more thing to
> learn. Programmers type, they don't point and click =)

Preach on brother!

;)

-Doug

Re: IDE or RAD tools

From
jdassen@cistron.nl (J.H.M. Dassen (Ray))
Date:
Doug McNaught <doug@wireboard.com> wrote:
>> Debugging I hear you say -> GDB
>
>Which has at least one X frontend--xxgdb.

I'm not sure xxgdb is actively maintained anymore. I'd recommend DDD
(http://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/), Insight [*]
(http://sources.redhat.com/insight/) or the GNU Visual Debugger
(http://libre.act-europe.fr/gvd/).

HTH,
Ray

[*] Insight has a sister package, Source-Navigator
(http://sources.redhat.com/sourcenav/), which is an IDE.
--
THEY planted The Lone Gunmen to MIND CONTROL the public into seeing TRUTH
SEEKERS as CONSPIRACY NUTS.

Re: IDE or RAD tools

From
Michelle Murrain
Date:
On Sunday 18 March 2001 07:50 pm, Doug McNaught wrote:

> > > Can anyone recommend any Iintegrated Development Environment or Rapid
> > > Application Development tools for hooking upto a PostgrSQL database?
> > >
> > > In particular, I am looking for something that develops for Linux,
> > > because that is what my server is, and I want the users to work thin
> > > client.
>
> [snippage]
>
> > Generally speaking, if you put a good programmer in front of a RAD or
> > IDE, he or she becomes less productive - just one more thing to
> > learn. Programmers type, they don't point and click =)
>
> Preach on brother!

This is a tangent question - I've been thinking alot about a development
project to allow mere mortals easily set up web-based databases in pgsql,
using a web-based tool. Does anyone know about projects that would basically
provide the functionality of pg_access but in a web-based context?

If not, it's next on my list of things to tackle.

Michelle
------------
Michelle Murrain, Ph.D.
President
Norwottuck Technology Resources
mpm@norwottuck.com
http://www.norwottuck.com

Re: IDE or RAD tools

From
Ned Lilly
Date:
Hi Michelle,

Check out phpPgAdmin - see http://www.greatbridge.org/project/phppgadmin/

Regards,
Ned

Michelle Murrain wrote:

>> [snippage]
>>
>>> Generally speaking, if you put a good programmer in front of a RAD or
>>> IDE, he or she becomes less productive - just one more thing to
>>> learn. Programmers type, they don't point and click =)
>>
>> Preach on brother!
>

> This is a tangent question - I've been thinking alot about a development
> project to allow mere mortals easily set up web-based databases in pgsql,
> using a web-based tool. Does anyone know about projects that would basically
> provide the functionality of pg_access but in a web-based context?
>
> If not, it's next on my list of things to tackle.
>
> Michelle

Ned Lilly                     e: ned@greatbridge.com
Vice President                w: www.greatbridge.com
Evangelism / Hacker Relations        v: 757.233.5523
Great Bridge, LLC                    f: 757.233.5555

Re: IDE or RAD tools

From
Tony Grant
Date:
On 19 Mar 2001 11:25:10 +1100, Gavin Sherry wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Terry Fielder wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommend any Iintegrated Development Environment or Rapid
> > Application Development tools for hooking upto a PostgrSQL database?
> >
> > In particular, I am looking for something that develops for Linux,
> > because that is what my server is, and I want the users to work thin
> > client.
>
> Unix (and therefore Linux) differ very much from Windows
> environmentally. One of the best things about a GNU Unix systems is that
> you basically have every possible tool at your finger tips. You should
> consider the shell your IDE or RAD environment.

Sorry this is not an option for some of us. This maybe great for people
who are _real_ programmers but not in my case and maybe not in the case
of Terry. I need symbolic representation of data. While I am drawing
pretty dataflow structures why not have the data actually use this work
instead of drawing up the database on paper then hand coding everything
from a text editor?

I would suggest Java - JDBC - Postgresql. JBuilder 4 is the tool I am
testing at the moment. If you need a WWW thin client throw in
Enhydra/Kelp application server.

Cheers

Tony Grant