Re: IDE or RAD tools - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: IDE or RAD tools
Date
List pgsql-general
Gavin Sherry <swm@linuxworld.com.au> writes:

> On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Terry Fielder wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommend any Iintegrated Development Environment or Rapid
> > Application Development tools for hooking upto a PostgrSQL database?
> >
> > In particular, I am looking for something that develops for Linux,
> > because that is what my server is, and I want the users to work thin
> > client.

[snippage]

> Need function definition marking? -> Vim/Emacs/grep

Plus ctags/etags.

> Debugging I hear you say -> GDB

Which has at least one X frontend--xxgdb.

> This is just a beginning. There is a reason why there are so few IDE/RAD
> tools for Unix - Unix systems lend themselves to rapid developerment. You
> could go down the Kylix (by Borland) road, but then you'd be developing
> for Interbase; you could check out some of the desktop environment IDEs,
> but then you'd be playing around with GTK+ or Qt.

Plus, if you're a follower of the Great God Emacs, you can use it as
an IDE--do all editing, compiling and testing within the editor.  You
can do a compile and jump directly to the location of each syntax
error, just as in an IDE.  Plus, the editor and its IDE extensions are
completely customizable and programmable (and, of course they are Free
Software).

> Generally speaking, if you put a good programmer in front of a RAD or IDE,
> he or she becomes less productive - just one more thing to
> learn. Programmers type, they don't point and click =)

Preach on brother!

;)

-Doug