Re: open pgsql files (was Re: [GENERAL] Mime-Version: 1.0) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: open pgsql files (was Re: [GENERAL] Mime-Version: 1.0)
Date
List pgsql-general
> Even after extending the number of file descriptors on the kernel quite
> significantly I still get the occasional crash due to too many open files. I
> would say that the current ploicy is too aggressive uder heavy loads.
>> This actually brings up a good point.  We currently cache all
>> descriptors up to the limit the OS will allow for a process.
>>
>> Is this too aggressive?  Should we limit it to 50% of the maximum?

We could limit the number of open files/per backend by using limit, or
ulimit etc. if all file accesses would go through Vfd.  Is there any
reason to use open() directly, for example, in mdblindwrt()?

Also, I have noticed that some files such as pg_internal.init are not
necessary kept open and should be closed after we finish to use it to
save a fd.
--
Tatsuo Ishii