Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 TODO list - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 TODO list
Date
Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 TODO list  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 TODO list  (The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
> > OK, here is the list.  Please send me changes.
>
> > Can not insert/update oid
>
> I think this is very unlikely to get fixed for 6.5, might as well just
> put it on the to-do-later list.

Moved.

> > EXPLAIN SELECT 1 UNION SELECT 2 crashes, rewrite system?
>
> Already fixed, I believe, unless someone can produce a case that
> fails...

Good.  Thanks.

> > move UNION stuff into rewrite files
>
> Is this the same as EXPLAIN issue above, or a different concern?

That is for me.  I currently do UNION in postgres.c, shoud perhaps move
to rewrite system.  Not sure yet.

> > Vacuum of tables >2 gigs - NOTICE:  Can't truncate multi-segments relation
>
> This is definitely a "must fix" item for 6.5, IMHO...

Yes.  It shows we are getting bigger.  Most/all? of my commerical
database clients don't have 2-gig tables.

> > missing optimizer selectivities for date, etc.
>
> The selectivity-estimation code needs major work.  Again, I'd say just
> shove it to the 6.6 list...

Moved.

> > int8 indexing needs work?
>
> Is this done, or are there still problems?

Not sure.  Just asking.  I saw Thomas complaining about some testing
problems.  Let's what he says.

> > hash on int2/char only looks a first bytes, and big-endian machines hash poorly
>
> Fixed.

Removed.

> > Some CASE() statements involving two tables crash
>
> Fixed.

Good.

> > CREATE FUNCTION fails
>
> Isn't this fixed?  I wasn't aware of any remaining problems...

OK.

> > Make sure pg_internal.init generation can't cause unreliability
> > pg_interal.init, check for reliability on rebuild
>
> Duplicate items, I think.

Yes.

> > GROUP BY expression?
>
> I think I've fixed the problems here.

Removed.

> > problem with ALTER TABLE on inherited
> > ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN to inherited table put column in wrong place
>
> Duplicates?

Yes.

> > GROUP BY can reference columns not in target list
>
> What's wrong with that?

Is that not a problem.  What possible use would GROUP BY on columns not
in target list be of use.  Maybe it is.  I remember someone asking for
something like this.  I will remove the item unless someone complains.
I thought you were the one complaining about it.

> > SELECT name, value FROM t1 as touter WHERE (value/(SELECT AVG(value)
> >     FROM t1 WHERE name = touter.name)) > 0.75; fails
>
> Fixed.

Already removed.

Thanks for the updates.

Pennsylvania19026