Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 TODO list - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 TODO list
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > GROUP BY can reference columns not in target list
> >
> > What's wrong with that?
>
> Is that not a problem.  What possible use would GROUP BY on columns not
> in target list be of use.  Maybe it is.  I remember someone asking for
> something like this.  I will remove the item unless someone complains.
> I thought you were the one complaining about it.

    This can happen if the GROUP BY clause is coming from a view,
    but  the  grouping  columns  of  the  view  aren't   in   the
    targetlist.

    Usually  the  view's  grouping  is required because of use of
    aggregates in the view, so omitting them isn't a good idea.

    I'm actually testing what happens if I  use  junk  TLE's  for
    rule generated GROUP BY entries...

Jan