Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 TODO list - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 TODO list
Date
Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 TODO list  (Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 10 May 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Vacuum of tables >2 gigs - NOTICE:  Can't truncate multi-segments relation
> >
> > This is definitely a "must fix" item for 6.5, IMHO...
>
> Yes.  It shows we are getting bigger.  Most/all? of my commerical
> database clients don't have 2-gig tables.

I'm not sure what is involved in fixing this, but...>2gig tables, in the
past, were iffy to start with.  if we can fix before v6.5, fine...if not,
my opinion is that isn't a release stopper.  Or, rather...is it something
that, other then in testing, has affected anyone?

> > > GROUP BY can reference columns not in target list
> >
> > What's wrong with that?
>
> Is that not a problem.  What possible use would GROUP BY on columns not
> in target list be of use.  Maybe it is.  I remember someone asking for
> something like this.  I will remove the item unless someone complains.
> I thought you were the one complaining about it.

Even if we don't remove it, sounds like a feature vs bug fix...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org