Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 TODO list - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Masto
Subject Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 TODO list
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 11, 1999 at 02:28:44PM -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > > This is definitely a "must fix" item for 6.5, IMHO...
> >
> > Yes.  It shows we are getting bigger.  Most/all? of my commerical
> > database clients don't have 2-gig tables.
>
> I'm not sure what is involved in fixing this, but...>2gig tables, in the
> past, were iffy to start with.  if we can fix before v6.5, fine...if not,
> my opinion is that isn't a release stopper.  Or, rather...is it something
> that, other then in testing, has affected anyone?

Hrm.. I've been hanging around on the postgres lists for six months or
so, but I admit, other than a couple of toy projects, I haven't really
done much.

However.. recently I have gotten involved in a project that
is.. well.. huge.  And it involves databases in a big way.  I'd love
to be able to use Postgres.  I'd love to be able to say at the end
that _______ (very very large and well-known organization) uses, and
in fact depends on, FreeBSD, Apache, Perl, and Postgres.  We're a bit
concerned, though, since the databases will be a _lot_ bigger than
2GB.  Part of the reason for using free software is that if it does
blow up, we can help fix it.

Anyway, I guess my point is that there is some incentive here for
having a postgres that is completely non-iffy when it comes to >2GB
databases.  Shortly we will be filling the system with test data and I
will be glad to help out as much as possible (which may not be much in
the way of code, as I've got my hands rather full right now).
--
Christopher Masto         Senior Network Monkey      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/