Re: [HACKERS] Running pgindent - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Running pgindent
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I want to run pgindent before the final release.  Who has outstanding
> > patches they are sitting on that would be affected by this?  Only places
> > where we have added non-conforming code would be affected.
>
> Ack! Can you make at least three changes to pgindent before doing this?
>
> 1) for functions which look like
>   datetime *
>   abstime_datetime(int4 x)
>   {
> do not put a tab (or extra spaces) between "datetime" and "*".
>
> For the end of functions which look like
>   } /* abstime_datetime() */
>
> do not put any tabs (or just one) between the "{" and the comment.
>
> Also, some comments get wrapped to the next line, making some ugly sources;
> perhaps pgindent should not touch comment lines at all? Or at least keep
> things on the same line, messing with the tabbing only??

Well, that is what indent does.  I can try and work around it, but I am
afraid I will mess it up somehow.  Right now, all the stuff is indented
consistently, and running it again will only make the changed stuff look
like the rest.

Making a change will change all the code, even the unchanged stuff.
Also, for comments, it will not change comments that are block-style.
See the indent manual page and the flags I use for help.  Keep in mind I
use BSD indent, which does not have the bugs in GNU indent.

--
Bruce Momjian
maillist@candle.pha.pa.us