Re: pg_dump/pg_restore problems with 7.4.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump/pg_restore problems with 7.4.1
Date
List pgsql-general
Ben Marklein <the_pharcyde@yahoo.com> writes:
> I'm trying to migrate from 7.2 to 7.4.1 via
> pg_dump/pg_restore and have encountered a couple of
> problems:

> 1)  Index creation on a table fails:

> db=# CREATE UNIQUE INDEX person_info_username_ix ON
> person_info USING btree (username);
> ERROR:  could not create unique index
> DETAIL:  Table contains duplicated values.

> Of course, this index existed in the 7.2 DB, so it
> seems odd that it should not be possible to recreate.

That's fairly interesting.  It could be an issue of strings that are
equal under your current locale but weren't equal before ... but why
wouldn't the GROUP BY search find those duplicates too?  I agree this
sounds like a bug.  Can you provide test data to duplicate the problem?

> 2) While importing I get: "ERROR:  invalid memory
> alloc request size 1073741824".  I tracked this down
> to a line with some non-ASCII characters.

I have been trying to reproduce a recent report of this, without
success.  Again, a test case would be of great value.

Also, what is your platform exactly, what locale settings, etc?  Did
you build Postgres yourself (with what config settings) or use an RPM
(whose)?

            regards, tom lane