pg_dump/pg_restore problems with 7.4.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ben Marklein
Subject pg_dump/pg_restore problems with 7.4.1
Date
Re: pg_dump/pg_restore problems with 7.4.1
Re: pg_dump/pg_restore problems with 7.4.1
List pgsql-general
I'm trying to migrate from 7.2 to 7.4.1 via
pg_dump/pg_restore and have encountered a couple of
problems:

1)  Index creation on a table fails:

db=# CREATE UNIQUE INDEX person_info_username_ix ON
person_info USING btree (username);
ERROR:  could not create unique index
DETAIL:  Table contains duplicated values.

Of course, this index existed in the 7.2 DB, so it
seems odd that it should not be possible to recreate.
Furthermore, a search for duplicate values fails:

db=# select username, count(*) from person_info group
by username having count(*) > 1;
 username | count
----------+-------
(0 rows)

Is this a known issue or possibly a bug?

2) While importing I get: "ERROR:  invalid memory
alloc request size 1073741824".  I tracked this down
to a line with some non-ASCII characters.  The type of
the new database is LATIN1, and these are valid LATIN1
characters.  I googled for the error message and found
a bug report that sounds like the same problem:

http://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org/msg07363.html

Anyone know if this was confirmed as a bug, and
whether it's being looked into?  Thanks.

Ben

Ben