Re: Is There Any Way .... - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ron Peacetree
Subject Re: Is There Any Way ....
Date
Re: Is There Any Way ....  (mark@mark.mielke.cc)
Re: Is There Any Way ....  ("Douglas J. Trainor" <trainor@transborder.net>)
Re: Is There Any Way ....  (Frank Wiles <frank@wiles.org>)
Re: Is There Any Way ....  ("Douglas J. Trainor" <trainor@transborder.net>)
List pgsql-performance
Unfortunately, no matter what I say or do, I'm not going to please
or convince anyone who has already have made their minds up
to the extent that they post comments like Mr Trainor's below.
His response style pretty much proves my earlier point that this
is presently a religious issue within the pg community.

The absolute best proof would be to build a version of pg that does
what Oracle and DB2 have done and implement it's own DB
specific memory manager and then compare the performance
between the two versions on the same HW, OS, and schema.

The second best proof would be to set up either DB2 or Oracle so
that they _don't_ use their memory managers and compare their
performance to a set up that _does_ use said memory managers
on the same HW, OS, and schema.

I don't currently have the resources for either experiment.

Some might even argue that IBM (where Codd and Date worked)
and Oracle just _might_ have had justification for the huge effort
they put into developing such infrastructure.

Then there's the large library of research on caching strategies
in just about every HW and SW domain, including DB theory,
that points put that the more context dependent, ie application
or domain specific awareness, caching strategies are the better
they are.

Maybe after we do all we can about physical IO and sorting
performance I'll take on the religious fanatics on this one.

One problem set at a time.
Ron