Re: Indexes on ramdisk - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alex Turner
Subject Re: Indexes on ramdisk
Date
List pgsql-performance
Talk about your IO system a bit.  There might be obvious ways to improve.

What System/Motherboard are you using?
What Controller Cards are you using?
What kind of Disks do you have (SATA, SCSI 7.6k 10k 15k)
What denominations (9, 18, 36, 72, 143, 80, 160, 200 240Gig)?
What kind of RAIDs do you have setup (How many drives what stripe sizes, how many used for what).
What levels of RAID are you using (0,1,10,5,50)?

With good setup, a dual PCI-X bus motherboard can hit 2GB/sec and thousands of transactions  to disk if you have a controller/disks that can keep up.  That is typicaly enough for most people without resorting to SSD.

Alex Turner
NetEconomist