Re: Is There Any Way .... - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Douglas J. Trainor
Subject Re: Is There Any Way ....
Date
List pgsql-performance
A blast from the past is forwarded below.

    douglas

Begin forwarded message:

</color></bold>Tom Lane <<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>

23, 2005 3:23:43 PM EDT

Courtney <<Donald.Courtney@sun.com>

</color></bold>pgsql-performance@postgresql.org, Frank Wiles
<<frank@wiles.org>, gokulnathbabu manoharan <<gokulnathbabu@yahoo.com>

[PERFORM] Caching by Postgres

</bold>

Donald Courtney <<Donald.Courtney@Sun.COM> writes:

<excerpt>I am not alone in having the *expectation* that a database
should have

some cache size parameter and the option to skip the file system.  If

I use oracle, sybase, mysql and maxdb they all have the ability to

size a data cache and move to 64 bits.

</excerpt>

And you're not alone in holding that opinion despite having no shred

of evidence that it's worthwhile expanding the cache that far.

However, since we've gotten tired of hearing this FUD over and over,

8.1 will have the ability to set shared_buffers as high as you want.

I expect next we'll be hearing from people complaining that they

set shared_buffers to use all of RAM and performance went into the

tank ...

            regards, tom lane

</excerpt>