Re: Upgrade Process Says "The database server was not shut downcleanly" but it was - Mailing list pgsql-general

From TalGloz
Subject Re: Upgrade Process Says "The database server was not shut downcleanly" but it was
Date
Re: Upgrade Process Says "The database server was not shut downcleanly" but it was  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
List pgsql-general
Well I tried your steps, both Postgres 10 and 12 are in perfect running
conditions and were shut down using the "systemctl" command. When I execute:

/usr/pgsql-12/bin/pg_upgrade --old-bindir=/usr/pgsql-10/bin/
--new-bindir=/usr/pgsql-12/bin/ --old-datadir=/var/lib/pgsql/10/data
--new-datadir=/var/lib/pgsql/12/data --old-options '-c
config_file=/var/lib/pgsql/10/data/postgresql.conf' --new-options '-c
config_file=/var/lib/pgsql/12/data/postgresql.conf' --check

I get:

Performing Consistency Checks
-----------------------------
Checking cluster versions                                               ok
Checking database user is the install user                          ok
Checking database connection settings                             ok
Checking for prepared transactions                                  ok
Checking for reg* data types in user tables                       ok
Checking for contrib/isn with bigint-passing mismatch          ok
Checking for tables WITH OIDS                                        ok
Checking for invalid "sql_identifier" user columns                 ok
Checking for presence of required libraries                         ok
Checking database user is the install user                         ok
Checking for prepared transactions                                  ok

*Clusters are compatible*

But if I execute the same command right after that without the "--check"
flag I get:

Performing Consistency Checks
-----------------------------
Checking cluster versions                                   ok

The target cluster was not shut down cleanly.
Failure, exiting

Both of the servers were still shut down. If I start form the beginning with
a fresh Prostgres 12 installation and execute the upgrade command right away
without the "--check" flag I get the problem described in my original post.

Best regards,
TalGlo

--
Sent from: https://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html