Re: Lessons from commit fest - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Lessons from commit fest
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> A general comment is that in stuff I review, I frequently spend a lot of
>> time trying to make the patch "look like it belongs", that is make it
>> reasonably well-integrated with the surrounding code.  This is important
>> because a code base that too obviously consists of layers upon layers
>> of independent patches soon ceases to be readable or maintainable.

> I did waste some time in the past complaining to submitters when the
> style was off.  At some point I stopped because I got the impression
> that that style of comment was not useful: people seem to get the idea
> that it's OK if the code does not follow our style; pgindent would fix
> it later after all.

pg_indent can fix some things, but a lot of what I'm thinking about here
is far beyond its ken.  You also have to be aware that it can mangle
comments to the point of unreadability, if the comment style is not
what it expects --- even relatively simple things like using two stars
instead of one for block comment leader can look pretty ugly after
pg_indent.

I tend to just fix this stuff while committing, rather than lecture the
submitters about it, but it undoubtedly is a time sink.