Re: Lessons from commit fest - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Lessons from commit fest
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> A general comment is that in stuff I review, I frequently spend a lot of
> time trying to make the patch "look like it belongs", that is make it
> reasonably well-integrated with the surrounding code.  This is important
> because a code base that too obviously consists of layers upon layers
> of independent patches soon ceases to be readable or maintainable.

I did waste some time in the past complaining to submitters when the
style was off.  At some point I stopped because I got the impression
that that style of comment was not useful: people seem to get the idea
that it's OK if the code does not follow our style; pgindent would fix
it later after all.