Re: Minor bug: Odd feedback on STDERR from PSQL for block comments - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Minor bug: Odd feedback on STDERR from PSQL for block comments
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Here's a non-showstopper in 7.4RC1, but probably good to fix before RC2:
> 1) Create a file with *only* a block comment in it, or with a block comment as
> the very last line.
> 2) run psql -f filename database
> You will get some odd feedback on STDERR:

I can confirm the problem.  It happens in more cases than Josh mentions,
as well:
    -- running the file with \i also shows the problem
    -- there can be blank lines and whitespace after the
       block comment, and it still shows up.

Example: z.sql contains

--- snip ---
select 2+2;
/* block */

    -- z
--- snip ---

regression=# \i z.sql
 ?column?
        4
(1 row)

psql:z.sql:5: regression=#

Peter, do you have time to look at this?  You're probably more familiar
than I am with the psql command loop.

            regards, tom lane