Minor bug: Odd feedback on STDERR from PSQL for block comments - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Josh Berkus
Subject Minor bug: Odd feedback on STDERR from PSQL for block comments
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Guys,

Here's a non-showstopper in 7.4RC1, but probably good to fix before RC2:
(btw, tested & exists on beta4 as well, so I'm not sure when it was=20
introduced)

1) Create a file with *only* a block comment in it, or with a block comment=
 as=20
the very last line.
2) run psql -f filename database

You will get some odd feedback on STDERR:
on Linux, file with only a block comment:
josh@temoku:~/Documents/oss/postgres> psql -f tempit2.sql -U postgres test1
psql:tempit2.sql:1: josh@temoku:~/Documents/oss/postgres>

on OSX:
josh% /usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql -U postgres -f ~/test.sql sharky
psql:/Users/josh/test.sql:1: [mercury:~] josh%

on Linux, file with several commands, ending in a block comment:
josh@temoku:~/Documents/oss/postgres/phpcon> psql -f tempit.sql -U postgres=
=20
test1
CREATE TABLE
INSERT 17168 1
INSERT 17169 1
INSERT 17170 1
psql:tempit.sql:13: ERROR:  column "iddomain" does not exist
DELETE 1
psql:tempit.sql:18: josh@temoku:~/Documents/oss/postgres/phpcon>

I'm not sure why we're getting a line header ("psql:tempit2.sql:1: ") on an=
=20
empty line, but it's annoying for any application writer (Bricolage) lookin=
g=20
for failure messages on STDERR.

--=20
-Josh Berkus