Re: poll: CHECK TRIGGER? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: poll: CHECK TRIGGER?
Date
Re: poll: CHECK TRIGGER?  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On ons, 2012-03-07 at 12:31 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> I might agree with you if we had more than one checker function, but
> right now we are proposing to implement this for PL/pgsql and only
> PL/pgsql.  It seems to me that we can add that when and if a second
> checker function shows up, if it still seems like a good idea.

I had mentioned upthread that I would like to use this for PL/Python.
There are a number of code quality checkers out there for Python.  I
currently have 3 hooked into Emacs, and 2 or 3 are typically used in the
builds of projects I'm working on.  All of these are shipped separately
from Python.

This leads to the following requirements:
     * Multiple checkers per language must be supported.     * It must be possible to add checkers to a language after
itis       created.  For example, a checker could be shipped in an       extension.     * It's not terribly important
tome to be able to run checkers       separately.  If I wanted to do that, I would just disable or       remove the
checker.    * Just to make things interesting, it should be possible to       implement checkers for language X in
languageX.

If it would help, given an API (even if only in C at the moment), I
could probably write up one or two checker function prototypes that
could be run against the PL/Python regression test corpus.