Re: poll: CHECK TRIGGER? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: poll: CHECK TRIGGER?
Date
Re: poll: CHECK TRIGGER?  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> If we need both
>> plpgsql_check_function(procoid) and plpgsql_check_trigger(tgoid), no
>> problem.
>
> FWIW, I would suggest check_trigger(regclass, name) not tgoid, because
> we do not have a regtrigger convenience type (and I don't think it's
> worth adding one).

I'm OK with either one.

> More importantly, I do not agree with requiring the user to specify the
> language name --- that is, it should be check_function(procoid) and have
> that look up a language-specific checker.  Otherwise, scenarios like
> "check all my functions regardless of language" are too painful.
> There is value-added in providing that much infrastructure.

I might agree with you if we had more than one checker function, but
right now we are proposing to implement this for PL/pgsql and only
PL/pgsql.  It seems to me that we can add that when and if a second
checker function shows up, if it still seems like a good idea.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company