Re: Arrays and "goodness" in RDBMSs (was Re: join of - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: Arrays and "goodness" in RDBMSs (was Re: join of
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 13:32, elein wrote:
> PostgreSQL is an ORDBMS, not just an RDBMS.

But y'all are talking about the SQL standard here.

> A column holds a type of value.  Any kind.  The
> structure and operands define the type.  The data
> defines the value.  This holds true for simple types
> like an integer or complex types like an array.
>
> The database data is relatively "type blind" in an
> ORDBMS.  It uses the standard overloaded operands
> to determine the type of function to perform for
> all of the usual RDBMS utilities.
> Constraints, triggers, sorting, etc. all apply.
>
> That's what the ORDBMS stuff can give you.
> Arrays are a natural extension.
>
> Arrays don't necessarily imply denormalization.
> It depends on how you use them.  The same rule
> applies for integers.

I dunno 'bout that...

> elein
>
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 01:13:52PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> >
> > Why are arrays even mentioned in the the same breath wrt relations
> > DBMSs?  Aren't they an anathema to all we know and love?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net           |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                            |
| "Man, I'm pretty.  Hoo Hah!"                                  |
|    Johnny Bravo                                               |