Re: Arrays and "goodness" in RDBMSs (was Re: join of - Mailing list pgsql-general

From elein
Subject Re: Arrays and "goodness" in RDBMSs (was Re: join of
Date
List pgsql-general

If arrays are not natural in the organization of
your data, don't use them. That is the guideline.

If the array defines something specific they are
very natural.  The confusion could be that arrays
are abstract types.

Specific implementations which use arrays might
be clearer.  For example, a definition of a polygon
is an array of Points.  Points, themselves are an
array.

(The actual postgreSQL implementation of polygons and points
doesn't use the newer cleaner array abstraction, I think.
But if I were reimplementing them, I would build on
top of the new array capabilities.  The point is to show
an array structured object which makes sense in context.)

Of course you can denomalize via arrays, but it tends
to make things harder for you.  And I believe the
same thing is true for denormalized integer columns.

elein
elein@varlena.com                             www.varlena.com
                PostgreSQL Consulting & Support
PostgreSQL General Bits   http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/