Re: Arrays and "goodness" in RDBMSs (was Re: join of array) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From elein
Subject Re: Arrays and "goodness" in RDBMSs (was Re: join of array)
Date
List pgsql-general
PostgreSQL is an ORDBMS, not just an RDBMS.

A column holds a type of value.  Any kind.  The
structure and operands define the type.  The data
defines the value.  This holds true for simple types
like an integer or complex types like an array.

The database data is relatively "type blind" in an
ORDBMS.  It uses the standard overloaded operands
to determine the type of function to perform for
all of the usual RDBMS utilities.
Constraints, triggers, sorting, etc. all apply.

That's what the ORDBMS stuff can give you.
Arrays are a natural extension.

Arrays don't necessarily imply denormalization.
It depends on how you use them.  The same rule
applies for integers.

elein