Re: PostgreSQL on z/OS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Parker
Subject Re: PostgreSQL on z/OS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I am not currently working on z/OS, and don't have access to a z/OS
environment, but I did a little work with getting OpenLDAP ported to
z/OS at my previous company. I assume you mean Unix System Services
(USS) under z/OS, rather than zLinux. Since zLinux is essentially Suse
ported to the Z architecture, I don't imagine there would be major
issues there.

USS, on the other hand, is a different story. It's "posix compliant", so
the basic C stdlib stuff works, and things like shared memory are
available, etc. But because it co-exists in a weird way with MVS, there
is a lot of extra baggage to worry about, especially in the security
area (RACF). In order to get the best performance out of it, you would
need to run the server as a "started task", meaning it would be started
from the MVS side of the house via JCL.

There is also the question of what other open-source/GNU type things the
build environment depends on. Here is a list of open-source projects
that have been ported to USS available from IBM:

http://www.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/zos/unix/redbook/index.html

This is a limited set, and most of the packages are some revs back.
You're not limited to this set, of course - it just might mean extra
porting.

And here is a link from the OpenLDAP FAQ posted by the OpenLDAP
committer who did the bulk of the porting for us:

In general, I found working with USS somewhat unpleasant, but porting
postgres should be possible.

- DAP