Re: version upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff
Subject Re: version upgrade
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sep 1, 2004, at 12:19 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> From my perspective, anyone who is running a 100GB,
> can't-be-down-for-a-day
> database and does not have more than 100GB free and/or a hot swap
> server has
> some *serious* priority problems.

Well, 100GB maybe excessive for this example. but I'm sure there are
plenty of running-on-a-shoe-string shops that don't have DB x 2 space
avail.  Then again, those places are very likely the ones who will not
be upgrading.

but this isn't a problem specific to PG.. all db's suffer from it.. and
slony so far seems to provide the easiest, safest path for a PG
upgrade... in my case the problem is I do have another server with
plenty of room, but it doesn't have much CPU or RAM and cannot handle
the volume of live traffic the master gets.  So I have no choice but to
plead my case and ask for some downtime.  oh well.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/