Re: version upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: version upgrade
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Folks,

> Doesn't work If you have say, a 100GB db and only 50GB free space.
> Not nearly enough to duplicate. But plenty of breathing room for normal
> operation.

From my perspective, anyone who is running a 100GB, can't-be-down-for-a-day
database and does not have more than 100GB free and/or a hot swap server has
some *serious* priority problems.  I really don't think it's the job of the
Project to make up for people's bad server room planning.   Even Microsoft,
paragon of dumb-user-software, requires the SQL Server upgrade process to
make a complete duplicate copy of the database.

If somebody thinks that they can code an in-place upgrade not involving
replication and switchover, then great!    Go for it.   But the Slony method
would be much, much easier to code and could even be done around the time of
the 8.0 release, which I don't think you can say for anything more hard-core.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions