BUG #18569: Memory leak in Postgres Enterprise server

From
PG Bug reporting form
Date:

Bug reference:      18569
Logged by:          Abhisek Sahu
Email address:      absahu@informatica.com
PostgreSQL version: 16.3
Operating system:   Redhat Linux8

We are encountering a issue with our PostgreSQL database, which is impacting
our operations.
Issue Description:
Our Informatica repository setup is enabled with PostgreSQL 16.2 database.
We are running multiple concurrent operations for extended periods (10 to 12
hours), which is resulting in database connection errors.
Error Details:
We have observed that memory consumption by PostgreSQL processes increases
gradually over time. Eventually, this leads to out-of-memory errors and
process termination. The log entries are as follows-

We also noticed that until the application either hangs or we manually
terminate the connection on our side, the memory used by these processes on
the PostgreSQL server continues to increase. This has led to severe
performance issues and frequent database connection errors.
Additional Information:
PostgreSQL Server/Client Version: PostgreSQL 16.2
Connector in Use: LibPQ
We have also attached our Repository logs, PostgreSQL server logs and DB
logs. Based on our analysis, it seems that processes are being killed due to
out-of-memory errors, as indicated by the logs from around 17:02
We would appreciate your assistance in analyzing and resolving this memory
leak issue as soon as possible.

Re: BUG #18569: Memory leak in Postgres Enterprise server

From
Daniel Gustafsson
Date:
> On 6 Aug 2024, at 10:34, PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

> PostgreSQL Server/Client Version: PostgreSQL 16.2

Your report mentions "Postgres Enterprise Server", are you running a product
from a vendor like EDB or are you running postgres installed by yourself via a
package manager (or similar)?  If you are buying postgres from a vendor then
please contact them, if not you are in the right place.

Upgrading to the latest 16.3 is also recommended even though there are no
references to memory leak fixes in the release notes.

> We have also attached our Repository logs, PostgreSQL server logs and DB
> logs.

No, there are no logs attached (I don't think the bugreporting form support
attaching any files).  Please provide additional information as there is
nothing to go in the report.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

RE: BUG #18569: Memory leak in Postgres Enterprise server

From
"Sahu, Abhisek Kumar"
Date:
Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your response.

@Sachan, Vishal please attach all the logs, including the ODL tracing.

Adding @Yeddula, Madhusudhan reddy [CONTINGENT WORKER] DBA to answer the below queries.

Regards
Abhisek

Caution: This email originated from outside of the organization. Review for Phishing!

> On 6 Aug 2024, at 10:34, PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

> PostgreSQL Server/Client Version: PostgreSQL 16.2

Your report mentions "Postgres Enterprise Server", are you running a product from a vendor like EDB or are you running
postgresinstalled by yourself via a package manager (or similar)?  If you are buying postgres from a vendor then please
contactthem, if not you are in the right place.

Upgrading to the latest 16.3 is also recommended even though there are no references to memory leak fixes in the
releasenotes.

> We have also attached our Repository logs, PostgreSQL server logs and
> DB logs.

No, there are no logs attached (I don't think the bugreporting form support attaching any files).  Please provide
additionalinformation as there is nothing to go in the report.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

RE: BUG #18569: Memory leak in Postgres Enterprise server

From
"Mathias, Renci"
Date:
Hi @Daniel,

The log files are attached for your reference.

Please let us know if you have any queries.

Thanks,
Renci Monthi Mathias  | QA Engineer
Bagmane Tech Park, C V Raman Nagar, Bangalore - 560093
Caution: This email originated from outside of the organization. Review for Phishing!

> On 6 Aug 2024, at 10:34, PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

> PostgreSQL Server/Client Version: PostgreSQL 16.2

Your report mentions "Postgres Enterprise Server", are you running a product from a vendor like EDB or are you running
postgresinstalled by yourself via a package manager (or similar)?  If you are buying postgres from a vendor then please
contactthem, if not you are in the right place.

Upgrading to the latest 16.3 is also recommended even though there are no references to memory leak fixes in the
releasenotes.

> We have also attached our Repository logs, PostgreSQL server logs and
> DB logs.

No, there are no logs attached (I don't think the bugreporting form support attaching any files).  Please provide
additionalinformation as there is nothing to go in the report.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Attachment

RE: BUG #18569: Memory leak in Postgres Enterprise server

From
"Yeddula, Madhusudhan reddy [CONTINGENT WORKER]"
Date:
HI @Daniel Gustafsson

Your report mentions "Postgres Enterprise Server", are you running a product from a vendor like EDB

ANS  : We are not using Postgres Enterprise Server from EDB.

Are you running postgres installed by yourself via a package manager (or similar)?

Ans : Installed postgres myself through YUM menthod

If you are buying postgres from a vendor then please contact them, if not you are in the right place.

We did not buy postgres from any vendor .

NOTE :  We are using opensource postgresql 16.2 server on RHEL9.

Madhusudhan | GOC Database Engineer
Informatica Global Operation Center
Office: Mob: +91 9502034172
Email: DL_GOC_Database_Services@informatica.com

Caution: This email originated from outside of the organization. Review for Phishing!

> On 6 Aug 2024, at 10:34, PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

> PostgreSQL Server/Client Version: PostgreSQL 16.2

Your report mentions "Postgres Enterprise Server", are you running a product from a vendor like EDB or are you running
postgresinstalled by yourself via a package manager (or similar)?  If you are buying postgres from a vendor then please
contactthem, if not you are in the right place.

Upgrading to the latest 16.3 is also recommended even though there are no references to memory leak fixes in the
releasenotes.

> We have also attached our Repository logs, PostgreSQL server logs and
> DB logs.

No, there are no logs attached (I don't think the bugreporting form support attaching any files).  Please provide
additionalinformation as there is nothing to go in the report.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

RE: BUG #18569: Memory leak in Postgres Enterprise server

From
"Sahu, Abhisek Kumar"
Date:
Hi Daniel,

Kindly let us know if you have any updates.

Regards
Abhisek Kumar Sahu
Senior Manager
Main: +91 80 40203000   Ext : 3135
Mobile: 9886680490

Caution: This email originated from outside of the organization. Review for Phishing!

> On 6 Aug 2024, at 10:34, PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

> PostgreSQL Server/Client Version: PostgreSQL 16.2

Your report mentions "Postgres Enterprise Server", are you running a product from a vendor like EDB or are you running
postgresinstalled by yourself via a package manager (or similar)?  If you are buying postgres from a vendor then please
contactthem, if not you are in the right place.

Upgrading to the latest 16.3 is also recommended even though there are no references to memory leak fixes in the
releasenotes.

> We have also attached our Repository logs, PostgreSQL server logs and
> DB logs.

No, there are no logs attached (I don't think the bugreporting form support attaching any files).  Please provide
additionalinformation as there is nothing to go in the report.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: BUG #18569: Memory leak in Postgres Enterprise server

From
Tomas Vondra
Date:
Hi Abhisek,

On 8/12/24 07:37, Sahu, Abhisek Kumar wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Kindly let us know if you have any updates.

It's hard to say what happened, based on the information provided so
far. It might be that there really is a bug / memory leak, or maybe the
selected query plan is not great, or maybe there's a configuration
issue. We'll need more information to find out.

1) What query was the failed backend running? Was it a big long-running
query (e.g. in ETL/BI application), or many small OLTP queries?

2) Do you know what execution plan was used?

3) If you rerun the query, does the memory usage grow the same way? This
would allow us to collect important data. For example, it would be very
useful if you could attach a debugger to a backend consuming a lot of
memory, and get memory context stats.

4) Can you share the configuration parameters? I think the memory config
is the most interesting one (shared_buffers, work_mem, ...). How much
RAM does the system have?

5) Is this a parallel query? In the snippet from /var/log/messages there
are 3-5 postgres processes that look like they might be parallel workers
(nearly sequential PIDs, same memory pattern).

6) Is this a long-running problem, or did it just start to happen
recently? Perhaps after some change/upgrade?

regards

--
Tomas Vondra