subquery and sub-SELECT

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
In our documentations, "subquery", "sub-query", "sub-select" and
"sub-SELECT" are used. In English, are they interchangeable?  I am
asking because we are looking for Japanese translations for the
words. If they have the identical meaning in English, we can choose
single Japanese word for them. If not, we would like to use different
Japanese words to reflect the difference.

I noticed that "sub-SELECT" only appears in syntax rules in the
reference manuals. Maybe "sub-SELECT" should be tread differently from
others?

Best reagards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS LLC

Re: subquery and sub-SELECT

Date:
Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> writes:
> In our documentations, "subquery", "sub-query", "sub-select" and
> "sub-SELECT" are used. In English, are they interchangeable?

Pretty nearly.  I think "sub-query" can include DML such as
INSERT RETURNING, whereas "sub-select" should only be a SELECT.
(I'm not claiming that we've been perfectly accurate about
that distinction.)  The dashes definitely don't matter.

            regards, tom lane

Re: subquery and sub-SELECT

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
> Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> writes:
>> In our documentations, "subquery", "sub-query", "sub-select" and
>> "sub-SELECT" are used. In English, are they interchangeable?
>
> Pretty nearly.  I think "sub-query" can include DML such as
> INSERT RETURNING, whereas "sub-select" should only be a SELECT.
> (I'm not claiming that we've been perfectly accurate about
> that distinction.)  The dashes definitely don't matter.

That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!