CompilerWarnings task does not catch C++ warnings

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
The CompilerWarnings task on Cirrus CI does not catch warnings in C++
code.  It tries to make warnings fatal by passing COPT='-Werror', but
that does not apply to C++ compilations.

I suggest that we just add COPT to CXXFLAGS as well.  I think passing
-Werror is just about the only reasonable use of COPT nowadays, so
making that more robust seems useful.  I don't think there is a need for
a separate make variable for C++ here.
Attachment

Re: CompilerWarnings task does not catch C++ warnings

Date:
Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> writes:
> The CompilerWarnings task on Cirrus CI does not catch warnings in C++
> code.  It tries to make warnings fatal by passing COPT='-Werror', but
> that does not apply to C++ compilations.
> I suggest that we just add COPT to CXXFLAGS as well.  I think passing
> -Werror is just about the only reasonable use of COPT nowadays, so
> making that more robust seems useful.  I don't think there is a need for
> a separate make variable for C++ here.

+1, but what about the meson side of things?

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On 18.06.24 16:08, Tom Lane wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> writes:
>> The CompilerWarnings task on Cirrus CI does not catch warnings in C++
>> code.  It tries to make warnings fatal by passing COPT='-Werror', but
>> that does not apply to C++ compilations.
>> I suggest that we just add COPT to CXXFLAGS as well.  I think passing
>> -Werror is just about the only reasonable use of COPT nowadays, so
>> making that more robust seems useful.  I don't think there is a need for
>> a separate make variable for C++ here.
>
> +1, but what about the meson side of things?

If you use meson {setup|configure} --werror, that would affect both C
and C++ compilers.

Re: CompilerWarnings task does not catch C++ warnings

From
Andres Freund
Date:
Hi,

On 2024-06-18 09:27:02 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> The CompilerWarnings task on Cirrus CI does not catch warnings in C++ code.
> It tries to make warnings fatal by passing COPT='-Werror', but that does not
> apply to C++ compilations.
>
> I suggest that we just add COPT to CXXFLAGS as well.  I think passing
> -Werror is just about the only reasonable use of COPT nowadays, so making
> that more robust seems useful.  I don't think there is a need for a separate
> make variable for C++ here.

+1

Greetings,

Andres Freund