pgarchives & pglister: bookworm migration

From
Célestin Matte
Date:
Hello,

I see that both pgarchives and pglister got updated to Django 4.2. Does that mean that they are both ready for a
migrationto Debian bookworm?

Célestin Matte

Re: pgarchives & pglister: bookworm migration

From
Magnus Hagander

I see that both pgarchives and pglister got updated to Django 4.2. Does that mean that they are both ready for a migration to Debian bookworm?

Hi!

Not yet - so far it's just the django 4.2 support, since 3.2 is end of life. We'll get to the rest of the bookworm stuff as well, or course, but we're not ready to go there just yer.

/Magnus

Re: pgarchives & pglister: bookworm migration

From
Akshat Jaimini
Date:
Hi,
Are we going to change the django version for the official website too?

Regards,
Akshat Jaimini

Date:
> Not yet - so far it's just the django 4.2 support, since 3.2 is end of life. We'll get to the rest of the bookworm
stuffas well, or course, but we're not ready to go there just yer.

Thanks for the answer! Do you have an idea of the calendar for that? End of support for buster is in 2.5 months
What can we do to help on that task?
--

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 5:02 PM Célestin Matte <celestin.matte@cmatte.me> wrote:
> Not yet - so far it's just the django 4.2 support, since 3.2 is end of life. We'll get to the rest of the bookworm stuff as well, or course, but we're not ready to go there just yer.

Thanks for the answer! Do you have an idea of the calendar for that? End of support for buster is in 2.5 months
What can we do to help on that task?

Hi!

Oh, we're all on bullseye by now so the EOL of buster should not be relevant. All the standard packages on bullseye (except django itself, which has to be loaded in a virtualenv) should work. Actually, I think we also load django-markwhat into our virtualenv, but I don't think any of those apps actually use it.

--

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 4:06 PM Akshat Jaimini <destrex271@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
Are we going to change the django version for the official website too?

Yes, that's the plan. I have a WIP beta branch for it with some testing on already, it looks like a pretty smooth upgrade, but I'm sure there's something hiding somewhere.

//Mangus

Re: pgarchives & pglister: bookworm migration

From
Akshat Jaimini
Date:
Ok, then I'll also update the django versions in the testing harness. Maybe in the near future we can also add support to run the harness on separate branches of pgweb.

Regards,
Akshat Jaimini

On Wed, 17 Apr, 2024, 20:50 Magnus Hagander, <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 4:06 PM Akshat Jaimini <destrex271@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
Are we going to change the django version for the official website too?

Yes, that's the plan. I have a WIP beta branch for it with some testing on already, it looks like a pretty smooth upgrade, but I'm sure there's something hiding somewhere.

//Mangus

Re: pgarchives & pglister: bookworm migration

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Hi!

Yeah, that could definitely be useful.

//Magnus

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 6:28 PM Akshat Jaimini <destrex271@gmail.com> wrote:
Ok, then I'll also update the django versions in the testing harness. Maybe in the near future we can also add support to run the harness on separate branches of pgweb.

Regards,
Akshat Jaimini

On Wed, 17 Apr, 2024, 20:50 Magnus Hagander, <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 4:06 PM Akshat Jaimini <destrex271@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
Are we going to change the django version for the official website too?

Yes, that's the plan. I have a WIP beta branch for it with some testing on already, it looks like a pretty smooth upgrade, but I'm sure there's something hiding somewhere.

//Mangus

Re: pgarchives & pglister: bookworm migration

From
Akshat Jaimini
Date:
Hi,

  > I have a WIP beta branch for it with some testing on already, it looks like a pretty smooth upgrade, but I'm sure there's something hiding somewhere.

I was checking the branches of pgweb but wasn't able to find any branches other than master. Will it be possible for us to have a 'test' branch in the repo? This will allow me to add a separate job to the harness to pull the code from that branch.

Regards,
Akshat Jaimini

On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 2:16 AM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
[...]

Date:
Just following up on this thread. Please do tell me if there are any possibilities of having this branch

Regards,
Akshat Jaimini

Hi,

Date:
> Oh, we're all on bullseye by now so the EOL of buster should not be relevant. All the standard packages on bullseye
(exceptdjango itself, which has to be loaded in a virtualenv) should work. Actually, I think we also load
django-markwhatinto our virtualenv, but I don't think any of those apps actually use it.

Thanks!

Additional questions:
- Is there a place where the currently supported platform(s) is listed?
- What issues can arise if trying to run the applications (pglister and pgarchives) with higher Debian versions, as
longas the Django version is supported? Specific postgresql queries?

--

On Fri, May 3, 2024 at 10:10 AM Célestin Matte <celestin.matte@cmatte.me> wrote:
> Oh, we're all on bullseye by now so the EOL of buster should not be relevant. All the standard packages on bullseye (except django itself, which has to be loaded in a virtualenv) should work. Actually, I think we also load django-markwhat into our virtualenv, but I don't think any of those apps actually use it.

Thanks!

Additional questions:
- Is there a place where the currently supported platform(s) is listed?

Unfortunately, no,not really :/ The only real way is to track the pgweb git history which will have an entry for the compatibility. Probably enough to just track the requirements.txt

- What issues can arise if trying to run the applications (pglister and pgarchives) with higher Debian versions, as long as the Django version is supported? Specific postgresql queries?

No, the issue is likely to be with non-django dependencies, the one that we use debian packages for. There aren't many in pgarchives and pglister -- we've got a lot more in pgeu-system and there have been some incompatibilities reported there. (We use the same runtime env for them all on pginfra, which is why that matters)

It might very well be that for just pglister and pgarchives, there are actually no such dependencies. And as long as there aren't, it should just work.

(The exim integration might break if there are output incompatibilities there, but that's not a mandatory component)

I don't think either of those have any advanced SQL in them, so they should work on all supported postgres I believe. And there definitely shouldn't be a problem using a *newer* postgres. (FWIW, all the pginfra production systems of these systems are on postgres 15 at this time).

//Magnus

Re: pgarchives & pglister: bookworm migration

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Hi!

Sorry to get back to you on this one late.

Unfortunately there wasn't, as that branch only existed in my private repos. I'll try to get a proper beta branch set up for next time around. For now, I've just updated our prod deployment to run on 4.2, so please update the harness to run all tests on 4.2 instead. Thanks!

//Magnus