Convert pg_constraint.conkey array to same-order array of column names

From
Dominique Devienne
Date:
We have a query returning 1 row per constraint column,
which until recently we didn't realize wasn't preserving order of the columns.

A colleague fixed that, with something like below:

SELECT ...
FROM pg_catalog.pg_constraint cnstr
CROSS JOIN LATERAL UNNEST(cnstr.conkey) WITH ORDINALITY AS cols(value, rank)
 ORDER BY cols.rank

But I'm wondering about getting 1 row per constraint instead,
and fetching an array of column names.

So is there a way to "convert" int2[] conkey array into a text[] of those column names?

Re: Convert pg_constraint.conkey array to same-order array of column names

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 3/23/23 04:12, Dominique Devienne wrote:
> We have a query returning 1 row per constraint column,
> which until recently we didn't realize wasn't preserving order of the
> columns.
>
> A colleague fixed that, with something like below:
>
> SELECT ...
> FROM pg_catalog.pg_constraint cnstr
> CROSS JOIN LATERAL UNNEST(cnstr.conkey) WITH ORDINALITY AS cols(value, rank)
>   ORDER BY cols.rank
>
> But I'm wondering about getting 1 row per constraint instead,
> and fetching an array of column names.
>
> So is there a way to "convert" int2[] conkey array into a text[] of
> those column names?

A before coffee solution:

WITH ck AS (
     SELECT
         conrelid,
         unnest(conkey) AS ky
     FROM
         pg_constraint
     WHERE
         conrelid = 'cell_per'::regclass
)
SELECT
     array_agg(attname)
FROM
     ck
JOIN
     pg_attribute
ON
     attnum = ck.ky AND ck.conrelid = pg_attribute.attrelid;

array_agg
-----------------------------
{category,line_id,category}

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 4:20 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 3/23/23 04:12, Dominique Devienne wrote:
> CROSS JOIN LATERAL UNNEST(cnstr.conkey) WITH ORDINALITY AS cols(value, rank)
>   ORDER BY cols.rank
A before coffee solution:

Thanks for answering Adrian. And sorry for the delay in responding.

WITH ck AS (
     SELECT
         conrelid,
         unnest(conkey) AS ky
     FROM
         pg_constraint
     WHERE
         conrelid = 'cell_per'::regclass
)

This part surprised me. I didn't know a table-valued function could be used like this on the select-clause.

Both queries below yield the same rows for me, in the same order:

=> select conname, unnest(conkey), conrelid::regclass::text from pg_constraint where conrelid::regclass::text like ... and cardinality(conkey) = 8;
=> select conname, key.value, conrelid::regclass::text from pg_constraint cross join lateral unnest(conkey) as key(value) where conrelid::regclass::text like ... and cardinality(conkey) = 8;

So your compact form is equivalent to the second form?
What about the order? Is it guaranteed?
I was "raised" on the "order is unspecified w/o an order-by-clause". Why would be it be different here?
In our case, the query is more complex, with joins on pg_namespace, pg_class, and pg_attribute, on
all constraints of a schema, and the order came out wrong w/o adding WITH ORDINALITY and ordering on it.

Thus I worry the order is plan-dependent, and not guaranteed. Am I wrong to worry?
The form you provide seems no different from our old form, to my non-expert eye. --DD

Re: Convert pg_constraint.conkey array to same-order array of column names

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On 2023-Mar-23, Dominique Devienne wrote:

> We have a query returning 1 row per constraint column,
> which until recently we didn't realize wasn't preserving order of the
> columns.
>
> A colleague fixed that, with something like below:
>
> SELECT ...
> FROM pg_catalog.pg_constraint cnstr
> CROSS JOIN LATERAL UNNEST(cnstr.conkey) WITH ORDINALITY AS cols(value, rank)
>  ORDER BY cols.rank
>
> But I'm wondering about getting 1 row per constraint instead,
> and fetching an array of column names.

IIRC you can use array_agg(unnest ORDER BY ordinality), grouping by
constraint OID or name.

"La espina, desde que nace, ya pincha" (Proverbio africano)

Date:
On Fri, Mar 24, 2023 at 11:51 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
On 2023-Mar-23, Dominique Devienne wrote:
> But I'm wondering about getting 1 row per constraint instead,
> and fetching an array of column names.

IIRC you can use array_agg(unnest ORDER BY ordinality), grouping by
constraint OID or name.

Thanks. This lead me to a better search, yielding two informative results:

Date:
On 3/24/23 03:28, Dominique Devienne wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 4:20 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>
>     On 3/23/23 04:12, Dominique Devienne wrote:
>      > CROSS JOIN LATERAL UNNEST(cnstr.conkey) WITH ORDINALITY AS
>     cols(value, rank)
>      >   ORDER BY cols.rank
>     A before coffee solution:
>

> Thanks for answering Adrian. And sorry for the delay in responding.
>
>     WITH ck AS (
>           SELECT
>               conrelid,
>               unnest(conkey) AS ky
>           FROM
>               pg_constraint
>           WHERE
>               conrelid = 'cell_per'::regclass
>     )
>

> This part surprised me. I didn't know a table-valued function could be
> used like this on the select-clause.
>
> Both queries below yield the same rows for me, in the same order:
>
> => select conname, unnest(conkey), conrelid::regclass::text from
> pg_constraint where conrelid::regclass::text like ... and
> cardinality(conkey) = 8;
> => select conname, key.value, conrelid::regclass::text from
> pg_constraint cross join lateral unnest(conkey) as key(value) where
> conrelid::regclass::text like ... and cardinality(conkey) = 8;
>
> So your compact form is equivalent to the second form?
> What about the order? Is it guaranteed?
> I was "raised" on the "order is unspecified w/o an order-by-clause". Why
> would be it be different here?
> In our case, the query is more complex, with joins on pg_namespace,
> pg_class, and pg_attribute, on
> all constraints of a schema, and the order came out wrong w/o adding
> WITH ORDINALITY and ordering on it.

Your original question was:

"But I'm wondering about getting 1 row per constraint instead,
and fetching an array of column names.

So is there a way to "convert" int2[] conkey array into a text[] of those
column names?"

That is what I showed as a simple example.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
On Fri, Mar 24, 2023 at 5:40 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 3/24/23 03:28, Dominique Devienne wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 4:20 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
Your original question was:

"But I'm wondering about getting 1 row per constraint instead,
and fetching an array of column names.

So is there a way to "convert" int2[] conkey array into a text[] of those
column names?"

That is what I showed as a simple example.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you.

My post started with "preserving order of the columns",
but I probably didn't make it clear enough preserving the source array's order was also a requirement.

Date:
On 3/24/23 9:44 AM, Dominique Devienne wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2023 at 5:40 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>
>     On 3/24/23 03:28, Dominique Devienne wrote:
>      > On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 4:20 PM Adrian Klaver
>     <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>
>      > <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>     <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>>> wrote:
>     Your original question was:
>
>     "But I'm wondering about getting 1 row per constraint instead,
>     and fetching an array of column names.
>
>     So is there a way to "convert" int2[] conkey array into a text[] of
>     those
>     column names?"
>
>     That is what I showed as a simple example.
>

> Sorry, didn't mean to offend you.

There was no offense taken, it was about confusion as to what was being
asked?