Re: Convert pg_constraint.conkey array to same-order array of column names - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Convert pg_constraint.conkey array to same-order array of column names
Date
List pgsql-general
On 3/24/23 03:28, Dominique Devienne wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 4:20 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>
>     On 3/23/23 04:12, Dominique Devienne wrote:
>      > CROSS JOIN LATERAL UNNEST(cnstr.conkey) WITH ORDINALITY AS
>     cols(value, rank)
>      >   ORDER BY cols.rank
>     A before coffee solution:
>

> Thanks for answering Adrian. And sorry for the delay in responding.
>
>     WITH ck AS (
>           SELECT
>               conrelid,
>               unnest(conkey) AS ky
>           FROM
>               pg_constraint
>           WHERE
>               conrelid = 'cell_per'::regclass
>     )
>

> This part surprised me. I didn't know a table-valued function could be
> used like this on the select-clause.
>
> Both queries below yield the same rows for me, in the same order:
>
> => select conname, unnest(conkey), conrelid::regclass::text from
> pg_constraint where conrelid::regclass::text like ... and
> cardinality(conkey) = 8;
> => select conname, key.value, conrelid::regclass::text from
> pg_constraint cross join lateral unnest(conkey) as key(value) where
> conrelid::regclass::text like ... and cardinality(conkey) = 8;
>
> So your compact form is equivalent to the second form?
> What about the order? Is it guaranteed?
> I was "raised" on the "order is unspecified w/o an order-by-clause". Why
> would be it be different here?
> In our case, the query is more complex, with joins on pg_namespace,
> pg_class, and pg_attribute, on
> all constraints of a schema, and the order came out wrong w/o adding
> WITH ORDINALITY and ordering on it.

Your original question was:

"But I'm wondering about getting 1 row per constraint instead,
and fetching an array of column names.

So is there a way to "convert" int2[] conkey array into a text[] of those
column names?"

That is what I showed as a simple example.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com