Not an error but a difficult wording

From
PG Doc comments form
Date:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/sourcerepo.html

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sourcerepo.html

I was convinced that there was a missing word or something in
"because the files that these tools are used to build are included in the
tarball"
I had to read this several times, until I saw that it was actually
correct.

Maybe this would be better? (I don't know the comma rules)
"because the files(,?) that are generated/processed by these tools(,?) are
already included in the tarball"

Re: Not an error but a difficult wording

From
Laurenz Albe
On Wed, 2023-01-25 at 08:22 +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/sourcerepo.html
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sourcerepo.html
>
> I was convinced that there was a missing word or something in
> "because the files that these tools are used to build are included in the
> tarball"
> I had to read this several times, until I saw that it was actually
> correct.
>
> Maybe this would be better? (I don't know the comma rules)
> "because the files(,?) that are generated/processed by these tools(,?) are
> already included in the tarball"

+1

Correct English would be:

  These tools are not needed to build from a distribution tarball, because
  the files generated by these tools are included in the tarball.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Not an error but a difficult wording

Date:
Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> writes:
> On Wed, 2023-01-25 at 08:22 +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
>> Maybe this would be better? (I don't know the comma rules)
>> "because the files(,?) that are generated/processed by these tools(,?) are
>> already included in the tarball"

> +1

> Correct English would be:

>   These tools are not needed to build from a distribution tarball, because
>   the files generated by these tools are included in the tarball.

The existing wording is not incorrect AFAICS, but I agree it's a bit
awkward.  I'd modify one word in your version:

  These tools are not needed to build from a distribution tarball, because
  the files generated using these tools are included in the tarball.

Or possibly "with" instead of "using"?

            regards, tom lane

Date:
> Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> writes:
> > On Wed, 2023-01-25 at 08:22 +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
> > > Maybe this would be better? (I don't know the comma rules)
> > > "because the files(,?) that are generated/processed by these tools(,?) are
> > > already included in the tarball"
>
> > +1
>
> > Correct English would be:
>
> >   These tools are not needed to build from a distribution tarball, because
> >   the files generated by these tools are included in the tarball.
>
> The existing wording is not incorrect AFAICS, but I agree it's a bit
> awkward.

I meant "a correct version of what was suggested in the mail", not that
the released text was incorrect.

> I'd modify one word in your version:
>
>   These tools are not needed to build from a distribution tarball, because
>   the files generated using these tools are included in the tarball.
>
> Or possibly "with" instead of "using"?

Both are better; I'd lean towards "with".

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Not an error but a difficult wording

Date:
Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> writes:
>> I'd modify one word in your version:
>>
>>   These tools are not needed to build from a distribution tarball, because
>>   the files generated using these tools are included in the tarball.
>>
>> Or possibly "with" instead of "using"?

> Both are better; I'd lean towards "with".

Done that way then, thanks.

            regards, tom lane