Password complexities in Postgres v14.6

From
Daulat

Hello Team,

Any idea, how we can set some Password complexities in postgres for user password. Like, we can create profiles in Oracle.

I am looking to set the Password complexities  (one parameter from each line item has to be complied to):

Default password age for users: 90 days.

Password first letter will be alphabetic in uppercase.

English uppercase characters (A through Z)

English lowercase characters (a through z)

Base 10 digits (0 through 9)

Non-alphabetic characters ~" &_-+='! (){}[):;"'<>,.?/ !@#$%*

Password Minimum Length 8 character

Thanks,

Re: Password complexities in Postgres v14.6

From
Pepe TD Vo
Date:
you can configure the password policy plugin in postgresql.conf.

p_policy.min_password_len = 8       # Set minimum Password length
p_policy.min_special_chars = 2      # Set minimum number of special characters
p_policy.min_numbers = 2            # Set minimum number of numeric characters
p_policy.min_uppercase_letter = 2   # Set minimum number of upper case letters
p_policy.min_lowercase_letter = 2   # Set minimum number of lower case letters

Bach-Nga

No one in this world is pure and perfect.  If you avoid people for their mistakes you will be alone. So judge less, love, and forgive more.EmojiEmojiEmoji
To call him a dog hardly seems to do him justice though in as much as he had four legs, a tail, and barked, I admit he was, to all outward appearances. But to those who knew him well, he was a perfect gentleman (Hermione Gingold)

**Live simply **Love generously **Care deeply **Speak kindly.
*** Genuinely rich *** Faithful talent *** Sharing success

Any idea, how we can set some Password complexities in postgres for user password. Like, we can create profiles in Oracle.

I am looking to set the Password complexities  (one parameter from each line item has to be complied to):

Password first letter will be alphabetic in uppercase.

English uppercase characters (A through Z)

English lowercase characters (a through z)

Base 10 digits (0 through 9)

Non-alphabetic characters ~" &_-+='! (){}[):;"'<>,.?/ !@#$%*

Password Minimum Length 8 character

Thanks,

Re: Password complexities in Postgres v14.6

From
Laurenz Albe
Date:
On Fri, 2022-12-16 at 17:57 +0530, Daulat wrote:
> Any idea, how we can set some Password complexities in postgres for user password. Like, we can create profiles in
Oracle.

> I am looking to set the Password complexities  (one parameter from each line item has to be complied to):
> Default password age for users: 90 days.
> Password first letter will be alphabetic in uppercase.
> English uppercase characters (A through Z)
> English lowercase characters (a through z)
> Base 10 digits (0 through 9)
> Non-alphabetic characters ~" &_-+='! (){}[):;"'<>,.?/ !@#$%*
> Password Minimum Length 8 character

There is no reliable way to do this in PostgreSQL, since the server typically
never sees the clear text password.
You should consider using one of the other authentication methods like "ldap"
and enforce the policy on the LDAP server.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Password complexities in Postgres v14.6

Date:
Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> writes:
> On Fri, 2022-12-16 at 17:57 +0530, Daulat wrote:
>> Any idea, how we can set some Password complexities in postgres for user password. Like, we can create profiles in
Oracle.
>> I am looking to set the Password complexities  (one parameter from each line item has to be complied to):
>> Default password age for users: 90 days.
>> Password first letter will be alphabetic in uppercase.
>> English uppercase characters (A through Z)
>> English lowercase characters (a through z)
>> Base 10 digits (0 through 9)
>> Non-alphabetic characters ~" &_-+='! (){}[):;"'<>,.?/ !@#$%*
>> Password Minimum Length 8 character

> There is no reliable way to do this in PostgreSQL, since the server typically
> never sees the clear text password.
> You should consider using one of the other authentication methods like "ldap"
> and enforce the policy on the LDAP server.

Note that this approach typically leads to a net worsening of security.
Farming out the problem to LDAP means that the password has to be sent
in cleartext not only to the PG server, but then on to the LDAP server
(and in an awful lot of setups, that second hop isn't even done in an
encrypted connection).

You can fairly easily enforce password age limits in PG using the
ALTER USER ... VALID UNTIL option.  But for all this other stuff,
there is no way to enforce it at the server without sending passwords
in cleartext, which reduces security rather than increasing it.

In short: your security guidelines are obsolete and need an update.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Password complexities in Postgres v14.6

From
Magnus Hagander

On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 4:16 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> writes:
> On Fri, 2022-12-16 at 17:57 +0530, Daulat wrote:
>> Any idea, how we can set some Password complexities in postgres for user password. Like, we can create profiles in Oracle.
>> I am looking to set the Password complexities  (one parameter from each line item has to be complied to):
>> Default password age for users: 90 days.
>> Password first letter will be alphabetic in uppercase.
>> English uppercase characters (A through Z)
>> English lowercase characters (a through z)
>> Base 10 digits (0 through 9)
>> Non-alphabetic characters ~" &_-+='! (){}[):;"'<>,.?/ !@#$%*
>> Password Minimum Length 8 character

> There is no reliable way to do this in PostgreSQL, since the server typically
> never sees the clear text password.
> You should consider using one of the other authentication methods like "ldap"
> and enforce the policy on the LDAP server.

Note that this approach typically leads to a net worsening of security.
Farming out the problem to LDAP means that the password has to be sent
in cleartext not only to the PG server, but then on to the LDAP server
(and in an awful lot of setups, that second hop isn't even done in an
encrypted connection).

There are of course better places to farm out the problem to that don't (necessarily) have this problem. Using GSSAPI for example will never need to send the password in clear, and it's up to the GSSAPI implementation to handle the password complexity rules.

You can fairly easily enforce password age limits in PG using the
ALTER USER ... VALID UNTIL option.  But for all this other stuff,
there is no way to enforce it at the server without sending passwords
in cleartext, which reduces security rather than increasing it.

In short: your security guidelines are obsolete and need an update.

The parts about enforcing a certain level of password complexity aren't necessarily obsolete, *if* it is end user passwords and end users change their password directly in the db. This is not a very common scenario, but it can certainly be the case with e.g. analytics people who query the db directly.

The part about requiring repeated password changes is considered actively harmful these days, so it's definitely obsolete. (Note that this is different from the postgres setting for VALID UNTIL which is not about the password being valid until, it's about the entire user being valid until the specified time).

And of course in either case a proper solution like using gssapi/kerberos is the better choice.

--

Re: Password complexities in Postgres v14.6

Date:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 4:16 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> You can fairly easily enforce password age limits in PG using the
>> ALTER USER ... VALID UNTIL option.

> The part about requiring repeated password changes is considered actively
> harmful these days, so it's definitely obsolete. (Note that this is
> different from the postgres setting for VALID UNTIL which is not about the
> password being valid until, it's about the entire user being valid until
> the specified time).

No, VALID UNTIL only applies to the password; you can log in via
non-password-based auth mechanisms regardless of that.

(I agree that forced password rotations are also an obsolete security
practice, but figured that one bit of push-back at a time was enough.)

> And of course in either case a proper solution like using gssapi/kerberos
> is the better choice.

Yeah, migrating to something like that would be best practice.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Password complexities in Postgres v14.6

From
Scott Ribe
Date:
> On Dec 16, 2022, at 9:17 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> (I agree that forced password rotations are also an obsolete security
> practice, but figured that one bit of push-back at a time was enough.)

I believe that NIST is now on board with this opinion, aren't they?

On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 5:26 PM Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com> wrote:
> On Dec 16, 2022, at 9:17 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> (I agree that forced password rotations are also an obsolete security
> practice, but figured that one bit of push-back at a time was enough.)

I believe that NIST is now on board with this opinion, aren't they?

They have been for years.

--

Re: Password complexities in Postgres v14.6

From
Holger Jakobs
Date:
(Note that this is different from the postgres setting for VALID UNTIL which is not about the password being valid until, it's about the entire user being valid until the specified time).

This isn't true. It's really just the password becoming invalid and has no effect on other authentication methods.

Regards,
Holger

Am 16. Dezember 2022 16:41:39 MEZ schrieb Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>:

> [...]

The part about requiring repeated password changes is considered actively harmful these days, so it's definitely obsolete. (Note that this is different from the postgres setting for VALID UNTIL which is not about the password being valid until, it's about the entire user being valid until the specified time).

And of course in either case a proper solution like using gssapi/kerberos is the better choice.

Re: Password complexities in Postgres v14.6

From
Magnus Hagander

(Note that this is different from the postgres setting for VALID UNTIL which is not about the password being valid until, it's about the entire user being valid until the specified time).

This isn't true. It's really just the password becoming invalid and has no effect on other authentication methods.

Yeah, you're right. I got it confused with another system I've been hacking on recently, where it's the other way around. Sorry about that!

//Magnus

Re: Password complexities in Postgres v14.6

From
raf
Date:
On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 10:16:46AM -0500, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> writes:
> > On Fri, 2022-12-16 at 17:57 +0530, Daulat wrote:
> >> Any idea, how we can set some Password complexities in postgres for user password. Like, we can create profiles in
Oracle.

> >> I am looking to set the Password complexities  (one parameter from each line item has to be complied to):
> >> Default password age for users: 90 days.
> >> Password first letter will be alphabetic in uppercase.
> >> English uppercase characters (A through Z)
> >> English lowercase characters (a through z)
> >> Base 10 digits (0 through 9)
> >> Non-alphabetic characters ~" &_-+='! (){}[):;"'<>,.?/ !@#$%*
> >> Password Minimum Length 8 character
>
> > There is no reliable way to do this in PostgreSQL, since the server typically
> > never sees the clear text password.
> > You should consider using one of the other authentication methods like "ldap"
> > and enforce the policy on the LDAP server.
>
> Note that this approach typically leads to a net worsening of security.
> Farming out the problem to LDAP means that the password has to be sent
> in cleartext not only to the PG server, but then on to the LDAP server
> (and in an awful lot of setups, that second hop isn't even done in an
> encrypted connection).
>
> You can fairly easily enforce password age limits in PG using the
> ALTER USER ... VALID UNTIL option.  But for all this other stuff,
> there is no way to enforce it at the server without sending passwords
> in cleartext, which reduces security rather than increasing it.
>
> In short: your security guidelines are obsolete and need an update.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Just in case anyone still thinks that the decades old
advice on password complexity has any validity, here's
an article that explains why it's awful (short answer:
given a set of rules, we all do very similar things,
resulting in a password search space that is a lot
smaller than you would think, so it makes password
hashes easier to crack).

https://www.rapid7.com/blog/post/2018/06/12/password-tips-from-a-pen-tester-common-patterns-exposed/

This isn't the first article on this topic, but it's
the one that came up first when googling for "password
common patterns". There's a more detailed earlier one
somewhere (Mozilla? OWASP?) that lists the 100 most
common password patterns, the most common one being
used by about 12% of people when forced to follow
typical password complexity rules. The old rules really
do make security worse.

cheers,
raf

Re: Password complexities in Postgres v14.6

From
Ganesh Korde
Date:
Hi,
   passwordcheck module can help you upto certain extent.

Regards,
Ganesh Korde.