Re: Password complexities in Postgres v14.6 - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: Password complexities in Postgres v14.6
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Fri, 2022-12-16 at 17:57 +0530, Daulat wrote:
> Any idea, how we can set some Password complexities in postgres for user password. Like, we can create profiles in
Oracle.

> I am looking to set the Password complexities  (one parameter from each line item has to be complied to):
> Default password age for users: 90 days.
> Password first letter will be alphabetic in uppercase.
> English uppercase characters (A through Z)
> English lowercase characters (a through z)
> Base 10 digits (0 through 9)
> Non-alphabetic characters ~" &_-+='! (){}[):;"'<>,.?/ !@#$%*
> Password Minimum Length 8 character

There is no reliable way to do this in PostgreSQL, since the server typically
never sees the clear text password.
You should consider using one of the other authentication methods like "ldap"
and enforce the policy on the LDAP server.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe