Same query, same data different plan

From
Kostas Papadopoulos
Date:
I have two identical databases running in the same instance of Postgresql. Ran
analyze on both. Running the same query I'm getting different plans, one x10 slower.
Although I have solved my problem by re-writing the query, I want to understand why
this is happening. If the configuration, Postgresql version, schema and data are the
same, what other factors is the planner considering?

--

Kostas Papadopoulos
KE MethodosIT

Re: Same query, same data different plan

From
Daevor The Devoted
Date:
Hi

Is the table stats up to date on both?

Best regards,
Na-iem Dollie

I have two identical databases running in the same instance of Postgresql. Ran
analyze on both. Running the same query I'm getting different plans, one x10 slower.
Although I have solved my problem by re-writing the query, I want to understand why
this is happening. If the configuration, Postgresql version, schema and data are the
same, what other factors is the planner considering?

--

Kostas Papadopoulos
KE MethodosIT

Re: Same query, same data different plan

From
Kostas Papadopoulos
Date:
Hi,

Yes, I ran ANALYZE in both databases.

Kostas

On 10/10/2022 16:03, Daevor The Devoted wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is the table stats up to date on both?
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/planner-stats.html
>
> Best regards,
> Na-iem Dollie
>
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 2:56 PM Kostas Papadopoulos <
> kostas@methodosit.com.cy> wrote:
>

>> I have two identical databases running in the same instance of Postgresql.
>> Ran
>> analyze on both. Running the same query I'm getting different plans, one
>> x10 slower.
>> Although I have solved my problem by re-writing the query, I want to
>> understand why
>> this is happening. If the configuration, Postgresql version, schema and
>> data are the
>> same, what other factors is the planner considering?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Kostas Papadopoulos
>> KE MethodosIT

Re: Same query, same data different plan

From
Julien Rouhaud
Date:
On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 04:05:42PM +0300, Kostas Papadopoulos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yes, I ran ANALYZE in both databases.

Please look at https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Slow_Query_Questions to provide
more information.

Re: Same query, same data different plan

From
Kostas Papadopoulos
Date:
Hi,

Thank you for responding. My question is not about the performance of a specific
query. As I wrote, that is already solved.

My question is "how can it be that the same query run in two exactly the same
databases can have different plans."

Kostas Papadopoulos

On 10/10/2022 16:12, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 04:05:42PM +0300, Kostas Papadopoulos wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yes, I ran ANALYZE in both databases.
>
> Please look at https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Slow_Query_Questions to provide
> more information.

Re: Same query, same data different plan

From
Pavel Stehule

po 10. 10. 2022 v 15:12 odesílatel Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> napsal:
On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 04:05:42PM +0300, Kostas Papadopoulos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yes, I ran ANALYZE in both databases.

This can be a common case. Check your configuration: work_mem, shared_buffers, effective_cache_size, random_page_cost, seq_page_cost, ...

Please look at https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Slow_Query_Questions to provide
more information.

Re: Same query, same data different plan

From
Kostas Papadopoulos
Date:
Hi,

I cannot see how it can be configuration since the two databases are in the same
Postgres instance.

Kostas Papadopoulos

On 10/10/2022 16:16, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> po 10. 10. 2022 v 15:12 odesílatel Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com>
> napsal:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 04:05:42PM +0300, Kostas Papadopoulos wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Yes, I ran ANALYZE in both databases.
>>

> This can be a common case. Check your configuration: work_mem,
> shared_buffers, effective_cache_size, random_page_cost, seq_page_cost, ...
>

>> Please look at https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Slow_Query_Questions to
>> provide
>> more information.

Re: Same query, same data different plan

From
Imre Samu
Date:
> Ran analyze on both. Running the same query I'm getting different plans, one x10 slower.

theory:

the "statistics target" is too low ?
THEN
different random sample  --> different statistics ---> different plan,.

"For large tables, ANALYZE takes a random sample of the table contents, rather than examining every row. "

IMHO:  Try to increase the statistics target   ( "default_statistics_target" , .. )

regards,
  Imre

I have two identical databases running in the same instance of Postgresql. Ran
analyze on both. Running the same query I'm getting different plans, one x10 slower.
Although I have solved my problem by re-writing the query, I want to understand why
this is happening. If the configuration, Postgresql version, schema and data are the
same, what other factors is the planner considering?

--

Kostas Papadopoulos
KE MethodosIT

Re: Same query, same data different plan

From
Ron
Date:
How identical is "identical"?

For example, does diff says that "pg_dump --schema-only" of DB1 and DB2 are
perfectly identical?

And are the table counts identical?

Date:
On 10/10/2022 16:44, Ron wrote:
> How identical is "identical"?
>
> For example, does diff says that "pg_dump --schema-only" of DB1 and DB2 are perfectly
> identical?
>
> And are the table counts identical?

I created the second database using pg_dump from the first, so they should be exactly
the same.

> On 10/10/22 08:15, Kostas Papadopoulos wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thank you for responding. My question is not about the performance of a specific
>> query. As I wrote, that is already solved.
>>
>> My question is "how can it be that the same query run in two exactly the same
>> databases can have different plans."
>>

>> Kostas Papadopoulos

>>> Please look at https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Slow_Query_Questions to provide
>>> more information.

Re: Same query, same data different plan

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 10/10/22 06:12, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 04:05:42PM +0300, Kostas Papadopoulos wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yes, I ran ANALYZE in both databases.
>
> Please look at https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Slow_Query_Questions to provide
> more information.

Without the information, as detailed at above link, an answer to this
question will be nothing more then guesses.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Same query, same data different plan

Date:
Kostas Papadopoulos <kostas@methodosit.com.cy> writes:
> I cannot see how it can be configuration since the two databases are in the same
> Postgres instance.

There is such a thing as ALTER DATABASE ... SET to install different
settings at the per-database level.

In general, the answer to your question is that the databases are
*not* identical.  You just haven't figured out how yet.  I'm wondering
if it has something to do with the dump/reload having compacted out
bloat in the tables or indexes, causing cost estimates to change.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On 10/10/2022 17:53, Tom Lane wrote:
> Kostas Papadopoulos <kostas@methodosit.com.cy> writes:
>> I cannot see how it can be configuration since the two databases are in the same
>> Postgres instance.
>
> There is such a thing as ALTER DATABASE ... SET to install different
> settings at the per-database level.

I understand, but I created the databases to be the same. Our original problem was
that developers' workstations (Debian and Windows) were running a specific query
different from a test db (Ubuntu). After eliminating everything we thought of (data,
versions, configurations, OS, etc) we ended up with the scenario I described here.

> In general, the answer to your question is that the databases are
> *not* identical.  You just haven't figured out how yet.  I'm wondering
> if it has something to do with the dump/reload having compacted out
> bloat in the tables or indexes, causing cost estimates to change.

I will look into that and a couple of other ideas I got from this list.

>             regards, tom lane

Thanks
kostas

Date:
On 10/10/22 8:12 AM, Kostas Papadopoulos wrote:

> On 10/10/2022 17:53, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Kostas Papadopoulos <kostas@methodosit.com.cy> writes:
>>> I cannot see how it can be configuration since the two databases are
>>> in the same
>>> Postgres instance.
>>
>> There is such a thing as ALTER DATABASE ... SET to install different
>> settings at the per-database level.
>
> I understand, but I created the databases to be the same. Our original
> problem was that developers' workstations (Debian and Windows) were
> running a specific query different from a test db (Ubuntu). After
> eliminating everything we thought of (data, versions, configurations,
> OS, etc) we ended up with the scenario I described here.

So there is more to the story.

Information needed:

1) The query and its EXPLAIN ANALYZE for both slow/fast cases.

2) Postgres version.

3) What database are the developers workstation pointing at?

4) What is the test db and is it the same as 3)?

5) What clients are you using to run the query?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Same query, same data different plan

From
Kostas Papadopoulos
Date:
Hi Adrian,

On 10/10/2022 20:59, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> Information needed:
>
> 1) The query and its EXPLAIN ANALYZE for both slow/fast cases.
>
> 2) Postgres version.
>
> 3) What database are the developers workstation pointing at?
>
> 4) What is the test db and is it the same as 3)?
>
> 5) What clients are you using to run the query?

Thanks for the interest. I was just looking for pointers on what to look at next. Got
that from Tom (table bloat) and Imre (different random sample of analyze).

Regards
kostas