Should we have a "Testing" topic in the CF app?

Date:
There's a nontrivial fraction of patches that are solely or
primarily concerned with testing: either adding new test cases,
or messing about with test infrastructure.  Right now there is
no home for them in the CF app except the "Miscellaneous"
category.  By my count 10 of the 36 entries currently live
in that category are testing patches (and it was more a few
hours ago).

Anybody else think a "Testing" category would be useful?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Should we have a "Testing" topic in the CF app?

From
Masahiko Sawada
Date:
On Sun, Jul 31, 2022 at 8:38 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> There's a nontrivial fraction of patches that are solely or
> primarily concerned with testing: either adding new test cases,
> or messing about with test infrastructure.  Right now there is
> no home for them in the CF app except the "Miscellaneous"
> category.  By my count 10 of the 36 entries currently live
> in that category are testing patches (and it was more a few
> hours ago).
>
> Anybody else think a "Testing" category would be useful?

+1

When adding my patch for test improvements, I also thought the same idea.

Masahiko Sawada
EDB:  https://www.enterprisedb.com/

Re: Should we have a "Testing" topic in the CF app?

From
Daniel Gustafsson
Date:
> On 31 Jul 2022, at 14:41, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jul 31, 2022 at 8:38 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>
>> There's a nontrivial fraction of patches that are solely or
>> primarily concerned with testing: either adding new test cases,
>> or messing about with test infrastructure.  Right now there is
>> no home for them in the CF app except the "Miscellaneous"
>> category.  By my count 10 of the 36 entries currently live
>> in that category are testing patches (and it was more a few
>> hours ago).
>>
>> Anybody else think a "Testing" category would be useful?
>
> +1
>
> When adding my patch for test improvements, I also thought the same idea.

Agreed, I think that's a good idea.  Unless there are objections raised I can
go and create that topic.

Date:
> On 1 Aug 2022, at 13:58, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:

> Unless there are objections raised I can go and create that topic.

Done.  I took the liberty of moving one of the TAP test patches over just to
check that everything worked as intended.

While there I also added a few future CF's as we were running out of configured
CF's in the system.

Date:
On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 4:40 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:

> > On 1 Aug 2022, at 13:58, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
>
> > Unless there are objections raised I can go and create that topic.
>

> Done.  I took the liberty of moving one of the TAP test patches over just to
> check that everything worked as intended.

Thanks!

Skimming the CF entries, the following patches can be moved to the new
Testing category:

* Unit tests for SLRU
    * https://commitfest.postgresql.org/39/3608/
* Improve TAP tests of pg_upgrade for cross-version tests
    * https://commitfest.postgresql.org/39/3649/
* CI and test improvements
   * https://commitfest.postgresql.org/39/3709/
* add test: pg_rowlocks extension
    * https://commitfest.postgresql.org/39/3724/
* Testing autovacuum wraparound
    * https://commitfest.postgresql.org/39/3729/
* pgstattuple: add test for coverage
    * https://commitfest.postgresql.org/39/3793/
* Introduce wait_for_subscription_sync for TAP tests
    * https://commitfest.postgresql.org/39/3780/

Date:
> On 3 Aug 2022, at 10:43, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 4:40 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
>>
>>> On 1 Aug 2022, at 13:58, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
>>
>>> Unless there are objections raised I can go and create that topic.
>>

>> Done.  I took the liberty of moving one of the TAP test patches over just to
>> check that everything worked as intended.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Skimming the CF entries, the following patches can be moved to the new
> Testing category:

Absolutely agree, thanks for the list!  I didn't want to move patches wholesale
until this thread had a chance to say yay/nay so I just took one patch to start
with.  I'll move them over later unless objections.

Re: Should we have a "Testing" topic in the CF app?

Date:
Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> writes:
> Skimming the CF entries, the following patches can be moved to the new
> Testing category:

I think also

* Added Windows with MinGW environment in Cirrus CI
    https://commitfest.postgresql.org/39/3575/

Date:
> On 3 Aug 2022, at 15:43, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> writes:
>> Skimming the CF entries, the following patches can be moved to the new
>> Testing category:
>
> I think also
>
> * Added Windows with MinGW environment in Cirrus CI
>    https://commitfest.postgresql.org/39/3575/

All of these have been moved to the new topic now.