Mail list manager request

From
Rich Shepard
Date:
Looking at the postgresql.org web site I could not find the mail list
manager for direct contact so I apologize for writing here.

I use procmail to sort incoming messages to the proper file. Messages from
the mail list come with varying information at the bottom of the headers; it
could be From:, Cc:, cc:, or in two cases List-ID:. Because of the
inconsistency I cannot get a recipe that consistently puts the mail list
messages in the proper file so they end up in my alpine INBOX where I need
to manually redirect them;

Please modify the MLM software to use the List-Id: on all messages that way
my procmail recipe:

:0:
* ^List-Id:.*<pgsql-general\.lists\.postgresql\.org>
database

will put incoming threads and messages where they belong.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Re: Mail list manager request

From
Kris Deugau
Date:
Rich Shepard wrote:
> Looking at the postgresql.org web site I could not find the mail list
> manager for direct contact so I apologize for writing here.
>
> I use procmail to sort incoming messages to the proper file. Messages from
> the mail list come with varying information at the bottom of the
> headers; it
> could be From:, Cc:, cc:, or in two cases List-ID:. Because of the
> inconsistency I cannot get a recipe that consistently puts the mail list
> messages in the proper file so they end up in my alpine INBOX where I need
> to manually redirect them;
>
> Please modify the MLM software to use the List-Id: on all messages that way
> my procmail recipe:
>
> :0:
> * ^List-Id:.*<pgsql-general\.lists\.postgresql\.org>
> database
>
> will put incoming threads and messages where they belong.

At a not-entirely-wild guess, based on replies to your recent couple of
posts, the messages that went astray were the direct mail copies that
never passed through the list in the first place.  I use an almost
identical recipe myself (and a matching one for psql-admin) and I don't
recall seeing stray mail since the list platform migration.

I catch most of those direct-mail copies with this addition:

:0
* ^TO_pgsql-.*@(lists.)?postgresql.org
$DEFAULT/.postgres/

Personally, I try to keep mail to any of the lists I read purely on-list
unless a personal CC has been explicitly asked for.

-kgd

Date:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2022, Kris Deugau wrote:

> At a not-entirely-wild guess, based on replies to your recent couple of
> posts, the messages that went astray were the direct mail copies that
> never passed through the list in the first place. I use an almost
> identical recipe myself (and a matching one for psql-admin) and I don't
> recall seeing stray mail since the list platform migration.

Kris,

That does seem to be the case. The most recent one was To: me and the mail
list, From: the sender. So I was not sent to only the mail list.

> I catch most of those direct-mail copies with this addition:
>
> :0
> * ^TO_pgsql-.*@(lists.)?postgresql.org
> $DEFAULT/.postgres/

Added here. Thanks.

> Personally, I try to keep mail to any of the lists I read purely on-list
> unless a personal CC has been explicitly asked for.

I have always responded to the list so others interested in the thread can
see all messages.

Regards,

Rich