pgsql: Fix some trailing whitespace in documentation files

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Fix some trailing whitespace in documentation files

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5a892c9b154f513a42c4a42cdfdae524ce33c86a

Modified Files
--------------
doc/src/sgml/adminpack.sgml         |  2 +-
doc/src/sgml/custom-rmgr.sgml       |  4 ++--
doc/src/sgml/func.sgml              | 20 ++++++++++----------
doc/src/sgml/high-availability.sgml |  2 +-
doc/src/sgml/pgwalinspect.sgml      |  2 +-
doc/src/sgml/ref/pgbench.sgml       |  2 +-
doc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml           |  2 +-

Re: pgsql: Fix some trailing whitespace in documentation files

Date:
Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> writes:
> Fix some trailing whitespace in documentation files

Hmm ... by my count there are still 245 lines with trailing spaces
in the *.sgml files.  (Most but not all are from copied-n-pasted
psql output.)

I'm not quite sure what's the point of retail fixes.  I could
get behind removing *all* these occurrences, and then adjusting
.gitattributes so that git bleats about introducing new ones.
Other folks might find that a little too obsessive-compulsive,
though.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pgsql: Fix some trailing whitespace in documentation files

From
Daniel Gustafsson
Date:
> On 16 Apr 2022, at 22:26, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> I'm not quite sure what's the point of retail fixes.  I could
> get behind removing *all* these occurrences, and then adjusting
> .gitattributes so that git bleats about introducing new ones.
> Other folks might find that a little too obsessive-compulsive,
> though.

If we don't want them in the docs in the first place (which I agree that we
don't), I would prefer them highlighted sooner rather than later.

Date:
On 16.04.22 22:26, Tom Lane wrote:
> Hmm ... by my count there are still 245 lines with trailing spaces
> in the *.sgml files.  (Most but not all are from copied-n-pasted
> psql output.)
>
> I'm not quite sure what's the point of retail fixes.  I could
> get behind removing*all*  these occurrences, and then adjusting
> .gitattributes so that git bleats about introducing new ones.
> Other folks might find that a little too obsessive-compulsive,
> though.

If someone wants to set that up, I'm not opposed.  In the meantime, I'm
content to clean up stray whitespace once in a while.  I don't want to
not do that, because otherwise too much junk will accumulate.

Re: pgsql: Fix some trailing whitespace in documentation files

Date:
> On 16.04.22 22:26, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm not quite sure what's the point of retail fixes.  I could
>> get behind removing*all*  these occurrences, and then adjusting
>> .gitattributes so that git bleats about introducing new ones.
>> Other folks might find that a little too obsessive-compulsive,
>> though.

> If someone wants to set that up, I'm not opposed.  In the meantime, I'm
> content to clean up stray whitespace once in a while.  I don't want to
> not do that, because otherwise too much junk will accumulate.

It's bothered the neatnik in me for a long time, so I'm happy to
make it happen if there are not objections.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
> On 19 Apr 2022, at 16:24, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> It's bothered the neatnik in me for a long time, so I'm happy to
> make it happen if there are not objections.

Mildly on-topic: Has the topic of a pgindent like process for docs been
discussed at some point? The archives didn't turn up anything for me.

Re: pgsql: Fix some trailing whitespace in documentation files

Date:
On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 08:57:23PM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> > On 19 Apr 2022, at 16:24, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> > It's bothered the neatnik in me for a long time, so I'm happy to
> > make it happen if there are not objections.
>
> Mildly on-topic: Has the topic of a pgindent like process for docs been
> discussed at some point? The archives didn't turn up anything for me.

I don't remember any discussion of that.  We have 'make check-tabs' for
SGML files, but that's about it.

  Indecision is a decision.  Inaction is an action.  Mark Batterson

Re: pgsql: Fix some trailing whitespace in documentation files

Date:
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 08:57:23PM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> Mildly on-topic: Has the topic of a pgindent like process for docs been
>> discussed at some point? The archives didn't turn up anything for me.

> I don't remember any discussion of that.  We have 'make check-tabs' for
> SGML files, but that's about it.

I've pushed a patch to remove the remaining trailing whitespace.

I thought about adjusting 'make check-tabs' to know about that rule,
but on the whole I'm inclined to remove it instead.  The modern
technology for this is "git diff --check" and variants of that,
and I'm not sure why we should maintain a less-flexible alternative.
(It'd be one less headache for the meson conversion, too.)

            regards, tom lane