Some inconsistencies in release-14

From
Alexander Lakhin
Date:
Hello hackers,

While translating names in the acknowledgment section, I've found
inconsistent spelling of several names.
1)
Dong Wook vs Lee Dong Wook

Dong Wook mentioned in
64fe120b (with e-mail sh95119@gmail.com)

Dong Wook Lee mentioned in
64725728
https://postgr.es/m/CAAcByaJsgrB-qc-ALb0mALprRGLAdmcBap7SZxO4kCAU-JEHcQ@mail.gmail.com
And the message contains
From: Dong Wook Lee <sh95119(at)gmail(dot)com>

https://velog.io/@sh95119 confirms this spelling.

But https://github.com/dongwooklee96 says "Lee Dong Wook" (in an
occidental manner).

So I think that the first spelling "Dong Wook" should be removed.

2)
Japin Li vs Li Japin

Li Japin mentioned in
e7eea52b
https://postgr.es/m/OS0PR01MB6113C2499C7DC70EE55ADB82FB759@OS0PR01MB6113.jpnprd01.prod.outlook.com
but he presented himself in the discussion as
From: Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>

In fact, we can find
From: Li Japin <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com> back in 2020:
805b8163
https://postgr.es/m/0E2F62A2-B2F1-4052-83AE-F0BEC8A75789@hotmail.com

It seems that Japin Li later changed the sender name in the e-mail client.

So I think that "Japin Li" should be used as the up-to-date spelling.

3)
Haiying Tang vs Tang Haiying
I've found 14 commits mentioning "Haiying Tang" and 4 commits with a
second spelling:

Tang Haiying
f3b141c4
https://postgr.es/m/OS0PR01MB611383FA0FE92EB9DE21946AFB769@OS0PR01MB6113.jpnprd01.prod.outlook.com
Tang, Haiying
05c8482f
https://postgr.es/m/CAJcOf-cXnB5cnMKqWEp2E2z7Mvcd04iLVmV=qpFJrR3AcrTS3g@mail.gmail.com
47b2ed1d
https://postgr.es/m/bbbccf7a3c2d436e85d45869d612fd6b@G08CNEXMBPEKD05.g08.fujitsu.local
7e84dd21
https://postgr.es/m/3321cbcea76d4d2c8320a05c19b9304a@G08CNEXMBPEKD05.g08.fujitsu.local

But the bug report
https://postgr.es/m/16108-134692e97146b7bc@postgresql.org contains:
Logged by: Haiying Tang

So "Haiying Tang" looks like the preferred spelling.

4)
Shenhao Wang (in release-13) vs Wang Shenhao

Shenhao Wang found in 5 commits, while Wang Shenhao found in
6fb66c26
https://postgr.es/m/8373f61426074f2cb6be92e02f838389@G08CNEXMBPEKD06.g08.fujitsu.local
but "Shenhao Wang" is seen in the message signature.

So it looks like the preferred spelling is "Shenhao Wang".

The attached patch fixes these inconsistencies.

Best regards,
Alexander

Attachment

Re: Some inconsistencies in release-14

Date:
Alexander Lakhin <exclusion@gmail.com> writes:
> While translating names in the acknowledgment section, I've found
> inconsistent spelling of several names.

I believe we've standardized on given-name-first in these lists.
(There was some discussion around that when the first such lists
were made, see [1].)  People from Far Eastern cultures often write
family name first in signatures, so it can be hard to tell whether
it ought to be switched or not.

I am not sure which of your changes are correct per this rule.
In the v13 acknowledgements list, I see

    <member>Haiying Tang</member>
    <member>Li Japin</member>
    <member>Shenhao Wang</member>

It could be that that entry for Li is backward, though.

            regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/54ad0e42-770e-dfe1-123e-bce9361ad452%402ndquadrant.com

Re: Some inconsistencies in release-14

From
Alexander Lakhin
Date:
Hello Tom,
19.09.2021 22:43, Tom Lane wrote:
> Alexander Lakhin <exclusion@gmail.com> writes:
>> While translating names in the acknowledgment section, I've found
>> inconsistent spelling of several names.
> I believe we've standardized on given-name-first in these lists.
> (There was some discussion around that when the first such lists
> were made, see [1].)  People from Far Eastern cultures often write
> family name first in signatures, so it can be hard to tell whether
> it ought to be switched or not.
>
> I am not sure which of your changes are correct per this rule.
> In the v13 acknowledgements list, I see
>
>     <member>Haiying Tang</member>
>     <member>Li Japin</member>
>     <member>Shenhao Wang</member>
https://www.namespedia.com says that the Haiying is a first name, and
Tang is a surname: https://www.namespedia.com/details/Tang
And most probably Li (and Lee) is a surname (as Wang):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_(surname_%E6%9D%8E)
So it seems that Japin Li changed his sender name according to the
Western rule.

But "Lee Dong Wook" then should be changed to "Dong Wook Lee".

I haven't checked whether all the Chinese names correspond to the rule,
I've just noticed some modified and duplicate names.
So I'm afraid that we can't ensure that all names are standardized now,
and when in doubt we should just stick to the person' preferred spelling.

Best regards,
Alexander