Re: Some inconsistencies in release-14 - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Alexander Lakhin
Subject Re: Some inconsistencies in release-14
Date
List pgsql-docs
Hello Tom,
19.09.2021 22:43, Tom Lane wrote:
> Alexander Lakhin <exclusion@gmail.com> writes:
>> While translating names in the acknowledgment section, I've found
>> inconsistent spelling of several names.
> I believe we've standardized on given-name-first in these lists.
> (There was some discussion around that when the first such lists
> were made, see [1].)  People from Far Eastern cultures often write
> family name first in signatures, so it can be hard to tell whether
> it ought to be switched or not.
>
> I am not sure which of your changes are correct per this rule.
> In the v13 acknowledgements list, I see
>
>     <member>Haiying Tang</member>
>     <member>Li Japin</member>
>     <member>Shenhao Wang</member>
https://www.namespedia.com says that the Haiying is a first name, and
Tang is a surname: https://www.namespedia.com/details/Tang
And most probably Li (and Lee) is a surname (as Wang):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_(surname_%E6%9D%8E)
So it seems that Japin Li changed his sender name according to the
Western rule.

But "Lee Dong Wook" then should be changed to "Dong Wook Lee".

I haven't checked whether all the Chinese names correspond to the rule,
I've just noticed some modified and duplicate names.
So I'm afraid that we can't ensure that all names are standardized now,
and when in doubt we should just stick to the person' preferred spelling.

Best regards,
Alexander