BUG #17193: Issue with pg_output login

From
PG Bug reporting form
Date:

Bug reference:      17193
Logged by:          DBA TEAM
Email address:      sushant.kamboj@getfareye.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.6.23
Operating system:   Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

We identified that there was an issue with the encoding with UTF8 characters
with pg_output plugin. The data was visible correctly in the database but
while pushing the data through the CDC pipeline there was some distortion
with the Greek letters.
Note:- We are pushing data through debezium.

Re: BUG #17193: Issue with pg_output login

From
"Euler Taveira"
Date:
We identified that there was an issue with the encoding with UTF8 characters
with pg_output plugin. The data was visible correctly in the database but
while pushing the data through the CDC pipeline there was some distortion
with the Greek letters.
You don't provide enough information. What's your database encoding?

IIRC Debezium only supports database whose encoding is UTF-8. Since pgoutput
doesn't do encoding conversion and it uses binary output, it seems the issue is
in the Debezium side.

--
Euler Taveira

Re: BUG #17193: Issue with pg_output login

From
Sushant Kamboj
Date:
Hi Euler,

Thanks for your reply.
I will check from the debezium side and will try to provide some more logs over this case.

We identified that there was an issue with the encoding with UTF8 characters
with pg_output plugin. The data was visible correctly in the database but
while pushing the data through the CDC pipeline there was some distortion
with the Greek letters.
You don't provide enough information. What's your database encoding?

IIRC Debezium only supports database whose encoding is UTF-8. Since pgoutput
doesn't do encoding conversion and it uses binary output, it seems the issue is
in the Debezium side.

--
Euler Taveira

--

Thanks and Regards
Sushant Kamboj

Re: BUG #17193: Issue with pg_output login

From
Sushant Kamboj
Date:
Hi Euler,

As we have verified in our environment ,your above statement looks like a contradiction since this is working fine when we are using wal2json plugin instead of pgoutput .

Since pgoutput is a native plugin, kindly let us know any settings or parameter change that we can do to fix this on postgresql or debezium side.
FYI:We are using postgresql 12.5 RDS

Date:
As we have verified in our environment ,your above statement looks like a contradiction since this is working fine when we are using wal2json plugin instead of pgoutput .
The main difference is: wal2json uses text output and pgoutput uses binary
output. I'm not sure if it matters for Debezium.

Since pgoutput is a native plugin, kindly let us know any settings or parameter change that we can do to fix this on postgresql or debezium side.
FYI:We are using postgresql 12.5 RDS
You don't provide enough information for an investigation. You can start with a
reproducible test case.

--
Euler Taveira

Re: BUG #17193: Issue with pg_output login

From
Gerdan Rezende dos Santos

As we have verified in our environment ,your above statement looks like a contradiction since this is working fine when we are using wal2json plugin instead of pgoutput .
The main difference is: wal2json uses text output and pgoutput uses binary
output. I'm not sure if it matters for Debezium.

Since pgoutput is a native plugin, kindly let us know any settings or parameter change that we can do to fix this on postgresql or debezium side.
FYI:We are using postgresql 12.5 RDS
You don't provide enough information for an investigation. You can start with a
reproducible test case.

--
Euler Taveira

 At Debezium documentation at [Debezium connector for PostgreSQL :: Debezium Documentation], we can see:

Debezium currently supports databases with UTF-8 character encoding only. With a single byte character encoding, it is not possible to correctly process strings that contain extended ASCII code characters.

I believe this is not PostgreSQL BUG, but a Debezium Limitation.