Missing directory is mentioned on page https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/libpq-exec.html.

From
PG Doc comments form
Date:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/libpq-threading.html

On page https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/libpq-exec.html, non-existing
directory is mentioned: src/tools/thread.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 10:54:57AM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/libpq-threading.html
>
> On page https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/libpq-exec.html, non-existing
> directory is mentioned: src/tools/thread.

Good find.  This directory was removed last week in this commit:

    commit 8a2121185b
    Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
    Date:   Wed Oct 21 12:08:48 2020 -0400

        Remove the option to build thread_test.c outside configure.

        Theoretically one could go into src/test/thread and build/run this
        program there.  In practice, that hasn't worked since 96bf88d52,
        and probably much longer on some platforms (likely including just
        the sort of hoary leftovers where this test might be of interest).
        While it wouldn't be too hard to repair the breakage, the fact that
        nobody has noticed for two years shows that there is zero usefulness
        in maintaining this build pathway.  Let's get rid of it and decree
        that thread_test.c is *only* meant to be built/used in configure.

        Given that decision, it makes sense to put thread_test.c under config/
        and get rid of src/test/thread altogether, so that's what I did.

        In passing, update src/test/README, which had been ignored by some
        not-so-recent additions of subdirectories.

        Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/227659.1603041612@sss.pgh.pa.us

I have applied the attached patch to all branches to remove the
paragraph.  I think the docs are only built when there is a minor
release, so it might take a few weeks until the online docs are updated.
You found this very quickly.  :-)

> I have applied the attached patch to all branches to remove the
> paragraph.

The removal only happened in HEAD, so I'm unclear on why you back-patched
this doc change?

But thanks for finding the reference; I'd only searched for test/thread,
not tools/thread.  Looks like src/template/netbsd has an old reference
too.

            regards, tom lane

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 12:54:36PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I have applied the attached patch to all branches to remove the
> > paragraph.
>
> The removal only happened in HEAD, so I'm unclear on why you back-patched
> this doc change?

Uh, at the top of all my branches, I typed:

    ls */src/tools/thread

and saw no hits in _any_ of the branches.  I now see that the problem
wasn't that /src/_tools_/thread was removed but that the docs referenced
it instead of src/_test_/thread.  However, it doesn't compile because of
the pg_printf reference.  I am thinking removing the paragraph in the
back branches was the right thing to do all along.  Agreed?

> But thanks for finding the reference; I'd only searched for test/thread,
> not tools/thread.  Looks like src/template/netbsd has an old reference
> too.

Remove that too?

> On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 12:54:36PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> The removal only happened in HEAD, so I'm unclear on why you back-patched
>> this doc change?

> Uh, at the top of all my branches, I typed:
>     ls */src/tools/thread
> and saw no hits in _any_ of the branches.

Presumably this text is a leftover from before 8.2:

  Author: Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
  Branch: master Release: REL8_2_BR [9e66c3e6f] 2006-02-04 01:00:02 +0000

    Move thread_test directory from /tools to /test so source-only tarballs
    have the directory for the configure test.

> I now see that the problem
> wasn't that /src/_tools_/thread was removed but that the docs referenced
> it instead of src/_test_/thread.  However, it doesn't compile because of
> the pg_printf reference.  I am thinking removing the paragraph in the
> back branches was the right thing to do all along.  Agreed?

It probably worked okay on most platforms before v12 (96bf88d52).
We could put back the text and fix where it pointed to, but on the
other hand I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.  Obviously nobody
has paid any attention to that para in a long time.

>> But thanks for finding the reference; I'd only searched for test/thread,
>> not tools/thread.  Looks like src/template/netbsd has an old reference
>> too.

> Remove that too?

Yeah, I think we could just nuke that line.

            regards, tom lane

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 01:32:49PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 12:54:36PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> The removal only happened in HEAD, so I'm unclear on why you back-patched
> >> this doc change?
>
> > Uh, at the top of all my branches, I typed:
> >     ls */src/tools/thread
> > and saw no hits in _any_ of the branches.
>
> Presumably this text is a leftover from before 8.2:
>
>   Author: Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
>   Branch: master Release: REL8_2_BR [9e66c3e6f] 2006-02-04 01:00:02 +0000
>
>     Move thread_test directory from /tools to /test so source-only tarballs
>     have the directory for the configure test.
>
> > I now see that the problem
> > wasn't that /src/_tools_/thread was removed but that the docs referenced
> > it instead of src/_test_/thread.  However, it doesn't compile because of
> > the pg_printf reference.  I am thinking removing the paragraph in the
> > back branches was the right thing to do all along.  Agreed?
>
> It probably worked okay on most platforms before v12 (96bf88d52).
> We could put back the text and fix where it pointed to, but on the
> other hand I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.  Obviously nobody
> has paid any attention to that para in a long time.

I think you are right that removal is appropriate.

> >> But thanks for finding the reference; I'd only searched for test/thread,
> >> not tools/thread.  Looks like src/template/netbsd has an old reference
> >> too.
>
> > Remove that too?
>
> Yeah, I think we could just nuke that line.

Removed.