From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Missing directory is mentioned on page https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/libpq-exec.html.
Date
List pgsql-docs
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 12:54:36PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> The removal only happened in HEAD, so I'm unclear on why you back-patched
>> this doc change?

> Uh, at the top of all my branches, I typed:
>     ls */src/tools/thread
> and saw no hits in _any_ of the branches.

Presumably this text is a leftover from before 8.2:

  Author: Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
  Branch: master Release: REL8_2_BR [9e66c3e6f] 2006-02-04 01:00:02 +0000

    Move thread_test directory from /tools to /test so source-only tarballs
    have the directory for the configure test.

> I now see that the problem
> wasn't that /src/_tools_/thread was removed but that the docs referenced
> it instead of src/_test_/thread.  However, it doesn't compile because of
> the pg_printf reference.  I am thinking removing the paragraph in the
> back branches was the right thing to do all along.  Agreed?

It probably worked okay on most platforms before v12 (96bf88d52).
We could put back the text and fix where it pointed to, but on the
other hand I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.  Obviously nobody
has paid any attention to that para in a long time.

>> But thanks for finding the reference; I'd only searched for test/thread,
>> not tools/thread.  Looks like src/template/netbsd has an old reference
>> too.

> Remove that too?

Yeah, I think we could just nuke that line.

            regards, tom lane