poc - possibility to write window function in PL languages

From
Pavel Stehule
Date:
Hi

I wrote a proof concept for the support window function from plpgsql.

Window function API - functions named WinFuncArg* are polymorphic and it is not easy to wrap these functions for usage from SQL level. I wrote an enhancement of the GET statement - for this case GET WINDOW_CONTEXT, that allows safe and fast access to the result of these functions.

Custom variant of row_number can look like:

create or replace function pl_row_number()
returns bigint as $$
declare pos int8;
begin
  pos := get_current_position(
windowobject);
  pos := pos + 1;
  perform set_mark_position(
windowobject, pos);
  return pos;
end
$$
language plpgsql window;

Custom variant of lag function can look like:

create or replace function pl_lag(numeric)
returns numeric as $$
declare
  v numeric;
begin
  perform get_input_value_in_partition(
windowobject, 1, -1, 'seek_current', false);
  get pg_window_context v = PG_INPUT_VALUE;
  return v;
end;
$$ language plpgsql window;

Custom window functions can be used for generating missing data in time series

create table test_missing_values(id int, v integer);
insert into test_missing_values values(1,10),(2,11),(3,12),(4,null),(5,null),(6,15),(7,16);

create or replace function pl_pcontext_test(numeric)
returns numeric as $$
declare
  n numeric;
  v numeric;
begin
  perform get_input_value_for_row(windowobject, 1);
  get pg_window_context v = PG_INPUT_VALUE;
  if v is null then
    v := get_partition_context_value(windowobject, null::numeric);
  else
    perform set_partition_context_value(windowobject, v);
  end if;
  return v;
end
$$
language plpgsql window;

select id, v, pl_pcontext_test(v) over (order by id) from test_missing_values;
 id | v  | pl_pcontext_test.
----+----+------------------
  1 | 10 |               10
  2 | 11 |               11
  3 | 12 |               12
  4 |    |               12
  5 |    |               12
  6 | 15 |               15
  7 | 16 |               16
(7 rows)

I think about another variant for WinFuncArg functions where polymorphic argument is used similarly like in get_partition_context_value - this patch is prototype, but it works and I think so support of custom window functions in PL languages is possible and probably useful.

Comments, notes, ideas, objections?

Regards

Pavel

Attachment

Re: poc - possibility to write window function in PL languages

From
Pavel Stehule
Date:
Hi

I simplified access to results of  winfuncargs functions by proxy type "typedvalue". This type can hold any Datum value, and allows fast cast to basic buildin types or it can use (slower) generic cast functions. It is used in cooperation with a plpgsql assign statement that can choose the correct cast implicitly. When the winfuncarg function returns a value of the same type, that is expected by the variable on the left side of the assign statement, then (for basic types), the value is just copied without casts. With this proxy type is not necessary to have special statement for assigning returned value from winfuncargs functions, so source code of window function in plpgsql looks intuitive to me.

Example - implementation of "lag" function in plpgsql

create or replace function pl_lag(numeric)
returns numeric as $$
declare v numeric;
begin
  v := get_input_value_in_partition(windowobject, 1, -1, 'seek_current', false);
  return v;
end;
$$ language plpgsql window;

I think this code is usable, and I assign this patch to commitfest.

[...]

fix regress tests and some doc

[...]

update - refactored implementation typedvalue type

Attachment

Re: poc - possibility to write window function in PL languages

From
Pavel Stehule
Date:
Hi

rebase

Regards

Pavel

Attachment

Re: poc - possibility to write window function in PL languages

From
Zhihong Yu
Date:
Hi, Pavel:
Happy New Year.

+   command with clause <literal>WINDOW</literal>. The specific feature of
+   this functions is a possibility to two special storages with

this functions -> this function

possibility to two special storages: there is no verb.

'store with stored one value': store is repeated.

+ * Portions Copyright (c) 1996-2020, PostgreSQL Global Development Group

It would be better to change 2020 to 2021 in the new files.

For some functions, such as windowobject_get_func_arg_frame, it would be better to add comment explaining their purposes.

For estimate_partition_context_size():
+                    errmsg("size of value is greather than limit (1024 bytes)")));

Please include the value of typlen in the message. There is similar error message in the else block where value of size should be included.

+       return *realsize;
+   }
+   else

The 'else' is not needed since the if block ends with return.

+           size += size / 3;

Please add a comment for the choice of constant 3.

+           /* by default we allocate 30 bytes */
+           *realsize = 0;

The value 30 may not be accurate - from the caller:

+   if (PG_ARGISNULL(2))
+       minsize = VARLENA_MINSIZE;
+   else
+       minsize = PG_GETARG_INT32(2);

VARLENA_MINSIZE is 32.

Cheers

Re: poc - possibility to write window function in PL languages

From
Pavel Stehule
Date:
Hi

+   command with clause <literal>WINDOW</literal>. The specific feature of
+   this functions is a possibility to two special storages with

this functions -> this function

possibility to two special storages: there is no verb.

'store with stored one value': store is repeated.

+ * Portions Copyright (c) 1996-2020, PostgreSQL Global Development Group

It would be better to change 2020 to 2021 in the new files.

fixed

For some functions, such as windowobject_get_func_arg_frame, it would be better to add comment explaining their purposes.

It is commented before. These functions just call WinAPI functions

/*
 * High level access function. These functions are wrappers for windows API
 * for PL languages based on usage WindowObjectProxy.
 */

For estimate_partition_context_size():
+                    errmsg("size of value is greather than limit (1024 bytes)")));

Please include the value of typlen in the message. There is similar error message in the else block where value of size should be included.

+       return *realsize;
+   }
+   else

The 'else' is not needed since the if block ends with return.

yes, but it is there for better readability (symmetry)

+           size += size / 3;

Please add a comment for the choice of constant 3.

+           /* by default we allocate 30 bytes */
+           *realsize = 0;

The value 30 may not be accurate - from the caller:

+   if (PG_ARGISNULL(2))
+       minsize = VARLENA_MINSIZE;
+   else
+       minsize = PG_GETARG_INT32(2);

VARLENA_MINSIZE is 32.

Cheers

Re: poc - possibility to write window function in PL languages

From
Zhihong Yu
Date:
Hi, Pavel: