Re: poc - possibility to write window function in PL languages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: poc - possibility to write window function in PL languages
Date
List pgsql-hackers

st 20. 1. 2021 v 21:32 odesílatel Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> napsal:
> st 20. 1. 2021 v 21:07 odesílatel Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> napsal:
>> Uh, what?  I don't understand what this "partition context" is.

> It was my name for an access to window partition local memory -
> WinGetPartitionLocalMemory

Ah.

> We need some interface for this cache

I'm not convinced we need to expose that, or that it'd be very
satisfactory to plpgsql users if we did.  The fact that it's fixed-size
and initializes to zeroes are both things that are okay for C programmers
but might be awkward to deal with in plpgsql code.  At the very least it
would greatly constrain what data types you could usefully store.

So I'd be inclined to leave that out, at least for the first version.

I think this functionality is relatively important. If somebody tries to implement own window function, then he starts with some variation of the row_num function.

We can support only types of fixed length to begin.

Regards

Pavel