Modifying data type of slot_keep_segs from XLogRecPtr to XLogSegNo

From
torikoshia
Date:
Hi,

Currently, slot_keep_segs is defined as "XLogRecPtr" in KeepLogSeg(),
but it seems that should be "XLogSegNo" because this variable is
segment number.

How do you think?

Atsushi Torikoshi
NTT DATA CORPORATION
Attachment

Re: Modifying data type of slot_keep_segs from XLogRecPtr to XLogSegNo

From
Fujii Masao

On 2020/07/08 11:02, torikoshia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently, slot_keep_segs is defined as "XLogRecPtr" in KeepLogSeg(),
> but it seems that should be "XLogSegNo" because this variable is
> segment number.
>
> How do you think?

I agree that using XLogRecPtr for slot_keep_segs is incorrect.
But this variable indicates the number of segments rather than
segment no, uint64 seems better. Thought?

Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Date:
On 2020-07-08 11:15, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On 2020/07/08 11:02, torikoshia wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Currently, slot_keep_segs is defined as "XLogRecPtr" in KeepLogSeg(),
>> but it seems that should be "XLogSegNo" because this variable is
>> segment number.
>>
>> How do you think?
>
> I agree that using XLogRecPtr for slot_keep_segs is incorrect.
> But this variable indicates the number of segments rather than
> segment no, uint64 seems better. Thought?

That makes sense.
The number of segments and segment number are different.

Atsushi Torikoshi
NTT DATA CORPORATION

On 2020/07/08 11:55, torikoshia wrote:
> On 2020-07-08 11:15, Fujii Masao wrote:
>> On 2020/07/08 11:02, torikoshia wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Currently, slot_keep_segs is defined as "XLogRecPtr" in KeepLogSeg(),
>>> but it seems that should be "XLogSegNo" because this variable is
>>> segment number.
>>>
>>> How do you think?
>>
>> I agree that using XLogRecPtr for slot_keep_segs is incorrect.
>> But this variable indicates the number of segments rather than
>> segment no, uint64 seems better. Thought?
>
> That makes sense.
> The number of segments and segment number are different.

Yes, so patch attached. I will commit it later.

On 2020/07/08 15:22, Fujii Masao wrote:

> On 2020/07/08 11:55, torikoshia wrote:

>>> I agree that using XLogRecPtr for slot_keep_segs is incorrect.
>>> But this variable indicates the number of segments rather than
>>> segment no, uint64 seems better. Thought?
>>
>> That makes sense.
>> The number of segments and segment number are different.
>
> Yes, so patch attached. I will commit it later.

Pushed. Thanks!

Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Re: Modifying data type of slot_keep_segs from XLogRecPtr to XLogSegNo

From
Kyotaro Horiguchi
Date:
At Wed, 8 Jul 2020 21:27:04 +0900, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote in

> On 2020/07/08 15:22, Fujii Masao wrote:

Yeah, that's my mistake while made bouncing back and forth between
segments and LSN in the code.  I noticed that once but forgotten until
now. Thanks for finding it.

> >> That makes sense.
> >> The number of segments and segment number are different.
> > Yes, so patch attached. I will commit it later.
>
> Pushed. Thanks!

Thanks!

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi