Additional Chapter for Tutorial

From
Jürgen Purtz
Date:
Our documentation explains many details about commands, tools,
parameters in detail and with high accuracy. Nevertheless my impression
is that we neglect the 'big picture': why certain processes exist and
what their relation to each other is, summary of strategies,
visualization of key situations, ... . People with mature knowledge
don't miss this information because they know all about it. But for
beginners such explanations would be a great help. In the time before
GSoD 2019 we had similar discussions.

I plan to extend over time the part 'Tutorial' by an additional chapter
with an overview about key design decisions and basic features. The
typical audience should consist of persons with limited pre-knowledge in
database systems and some interest in PostgreSQL. In the attachment you
find a patch for the first sub-chapter. Subsequent sub-chapters should
be: MVCC, transactions, VACUUM, backup, replication, ... - mostly with
the focus on the PostgreSQL implementation and not on generic topics
like b-trees.

There is a predecessor of this patch:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/974e09b8-edf5-f38f-2fb5-a5875782ffc9%40purtz.de
. In the meanwhile its glossary-part is separated and commited. The new
patch contains two elements: textual descriptions and 4 figures. My
opinion concerning figures is set out in detail in the previous patch.

Kind regards, Jürgen Purtz

Attachment

Re: Additional Chapter for Tutorial

From
Corey Huinker
Date:
I plan to extend over time the part 'Tutorial' by an additional chapter
with an overview about key design decisions and basic features. The
typical audience should consist of persons with limited pre-knowledge in
database systems and some interest in PostgreSQL. In the attachment you
find a patch for the first sub-chapter. Subsequent sub-chapters should
be: MVCC, transactions, VACUUM, backup, replication, ... - mostly with
the focus on the PostgreSQL implementation and not on generic topics
like b-trees.

+1

Re: Additional Chapter for Tutorial

From
Erik Rijkers
Date:
On 2020-04-17 19:56, Jürgen Purtz wrote:
> Our documentation explains many details about commands, tools,
> parameters in detail and with high accuracy. Nevertheless my
> impression is that we neglect the 'big picture': why certain processes

> [0001-architecture.patch]

Very good stuff, and useful. I think.

I mean that but nevertheless here is a lot of comment :)

(I didn't fully compile as docs, just read the 'text' from the patch
file)

Collabortion
Collaboration

drop 'resulting'

He acts in close cooperation with the
It acts in close cooperation with the

He loads the configuration files, allocates the
It loads the configuration files, allocates the

process</firstterm>. He checks the authorization, starts a
process</firstterm>. it checks the authorization, starts a

and instructs the client application to connect to him. All further
and instructs the client application to connect to it. All further

by him.
by it.

In an first attempt
In a first attempt

much huger than memory, it's likely that
much larger than memory, it's likely that

RAM is performed in units of complete pages while retaining
RAM is performed in units of complete pages, retaining

Sooner or later it is necessary to overwrite old RAM
Sooner or later it becomes necessary to overwrite old RAM

transfered
transferred
   (multiple times)

who runs
which runs

He writes
it writes

This is the primarily duty of the
This is primarily the duty of the
   or possibly:
This is the primary duty of the

he starts periodically
it starts periodically

speeds up a possibly occurring recovery.
can speed up recovery.

writen
written

collects counter about accesses
collects counters about accesses

and others. He stores the obtained information in system
and more. It stores the obtained information in system

sudirectories consists
subdirectories consist  <-- plural, no -s

there are information
there is information

and contains the ID of the
and contains the ID (pid) of the

( IMHO, it is conventional (and therefore easier to read) to have 'e.g.'
followed by a comma, and not by a semi-colon, although obviously that's
not really wrong either. )

Thanks,

Erik Rijkers

Date:
On 17.04.20 20:40, Erik Rijkers wrote:
> Very good stuff, and useful. I think.
>
> I mean that but nevertheless here is a lot of comment :)
>
> (I didn't fully compile as docs, just read the 'text' from the patch
> file)

Thanks. Added nearly all of the suggestions.

--

Date:
On 20.04.20 10:30, Jürgen Purtz wrote:
> On 17.04.20 20:40, Erik Rijkers wrote:
>> Very good stuff, and useful. I think.
>>
>> I mean that but nevertheless here is a lot of comment :)
>>
>> (I didn't fully compile as docs, just read the 'text' from the patch
>> file)
>
> Thanks. Added nearly all of the suggestions.

What is new? Added two sub-chapters 'mvcc' and 'vacuum' plus graphics.
Made some modifications in previous sub-chapters and in existing titles.
Added some glossary entries.

--

Jürgen Purtz

Attachment

Re: Additional Chapter for Tutorial - (review first half of 0003)

From
Erik Rijkers
Date:
On 2020-04-29 16:13, Jürgen Purtz wrote:
> On 20.04.20 10:30, Jürgen Purtz wrote:
>> On 17.04.20 20:40, Erik Rijkers wrote:
>>> Very good stuff, and useful. I think.
>>>
>>> I mean that but nevertheless here is a lot of comment :)
>>>
>>> (I didn't fully compile as docs, just read the 'text' from the patch
>>> file)
>>
>> Thanks. Added nearly all of the suggestions.
>>

> What is new? Added two sub-chapters 'mvcc' and 'vacuum' plus graphics.
> Made some modifications in previous sub-chapters and in existing
> titles. Added some glossary entries.

> [0003-architecture.patch]

Hi Jürgen,

Here are again some suggested changes, up to line 600 (of the patch -
that is around start of the new NVCC paragraph)

I may have repeated some thing you have already rejected (it was too
much work to go back and check).  I am not a native speaker of english.

One general remark: in my humble opinion, you write too many capitalized
words.  It's not really a problem but overall it's becomes bit too much.
  But I have not marked these. perhaps some future iteration.

I'll probably read through the latter part of the patch later (probably
tomorrow).

Thanks,

Erik Rijkers

they merely send requests to the server side and receives
they merely send requests to the server side and receive

is a group of tightly coupled other server side processes plus a
is a group of tightly coupled other server-side processes plus a

Client requests (SELECT, UPDATE, ...) usually leads to the
Client requests (SELECT, UPDATE, ...) usually lead to the

Because files are much larger than memory, it's likely that
Because files are often larger than memory, it's likely that

RAM is performed in units of complete pages, retaining their size and
layout.
RAM is performed in units of complete pages.

Reading file pages is notedly slower than reading
Reading file pages is slower than reading

of the <firstterm>Backend processes</firstterm> has done the job those
pages are available for all other
of the <firstterm>Backend processes</firstterm> has read pages into
memory those pages are available for all other

they must be transferred back to disk. This is a two-step process.
they must be written back to disk. This is a two-step process.

Because of the sequential nature of this writing, it is much
Because of this writing is sequential, it is much

in an independent process. Nevertheless all
in an independent process. Nevertheless, all

huge I/O activities can block other processes significantly,
I/O activities can block other processes,

it starts periodically and acts only for a short period.
it starts periodically and is active only for a short period.

duty. As its name suggests, he has to create
duty. As its name suggests, it has to create

In consequence, after a <firstterm>Checkpoint</firstterm>
After a <firstterm>Checkpoint</firstterm>,

In correlation with data changes,
As a result of data changes,

text lines about serious and non-serious events which can happen
text lines about serious and less serious events which can happen

database contains many <glossterm
linkend="glossary-schema">schema</glossterm>,
database contains many <glossterm
linkend="glossary-schema">schemas</glossterm>,

belongs to a certain <firstterm>schema</firstterm>, they cannot
belongs to a single <firstterm>schema</firstterm>, they cannot

A <firstterm>Cluster</firstterm> is the outer frame for a
A <firstterm>Cluster</firstterm> is the outer container for a

<literal>postgres</literal> as a copy of
<literal>postgres</literal> is generated as a copy of

role of <literal>template0</literal> as the origin
role of <literal>template0</literal> as the pristine origin

are different objects and absolutely independent from each
are different objects and independent from each

complete <firstterm>cluster</firstterm>, independent from
<firstterm>cluster</firstterm>, independent from

anywhere in the file system. In many cases, the environment
somewhere in the file system. In many cases, the environment

some files, all of which are necessary to store long lasting
some files, all of which are necessary to store long-lasting

<firstterm>tablespaces</firstterm> itself.
<firstterm>tablespaces</firstterm> themselves.

<firstterm>Postgres</firstterm> (respectively
<firstterm>Postmaster</firstterm>) process.
<firstterm>Postgres</firstterm> process (also known as
<firstterm>Postmaster</firstterm>).

<title>MVCC</title>
<title>MVCC - Multiversion Concurrency Control</title>

The dabase must take a sensible decision to prevent the application
The database must take a sensible decision to prevent the application

# this sentence I just don't understand - can you please elucidate?
The database must take a sensible decision to prevent the application
from promising delivery of the single article to both clients.

Re: Additional Chapter for Tutorial

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 2020-04-29 16:13, Jürgen Purtz wrote:
> On 20.04.20 10:30, Jürgen Purtz wrote:
>> On 17.04.20 20:40, Erik Rijkers wrote:
>>> Very good stuff, and useful. I think.
>>>
>>> I mean that but nevertheless here is a lot of comment :)
>>>
>>> (I didn't fully compile as docs, just read the 'text' from the patch
>>> file)
>>
>> Thanks. Added nearly all of the suggestions.
>>

> What is new? Added two sub-chapters 'mvcc' and 'vacuum' plus graphics.
> Made some modifications in previous sub-chapters and in existing titles.
> Added some glossary entries.

I don't see this really as belonging into the tutorial.  The tutorial
should be hands-on, how do you get started, how do you get some results.

Your material is more of an overview of the whole system.  What's a new
user supposed to do with that?

Date:
On 29.04.20 21:12, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> I don't see this really as belonging into the tutorial.  The tutorial
> should be hands-on, how do you get started, how do you get some results.

Yes, the tutorial should be a short overview and give instructions how
to start. IMO the first 4 sub-chapters fulfill this expectation. Indeed,
the fifth (VACUUM) is extensive and offers many details.

During the inspection of the existing documentation I recognized that
there are many details about VACUUM, AUTOVACUUM, all of their parameters
as well as their behavior. But the information is spread across many
pages: Automatic Vacuuming, Client Connection Defaults, Routine
Vacuuming, Resource Consumption, VACUUM. Even for a person with some
pre-knowledge it is hard to get an overview how this fits together and
why things are solved in exactly this way. In the end we have very good
descriptions of all details but I miss the 'big picture'. Therefore I
summarized central aspects and tried to give an answer to the question
'why is it done in this way?'. I do not dispute that the current version
of the page is not adequate for beginners. But at some place we should
have such a summary about vacuuming and freezing.

How to proceed?

- Remove the page and add a short paragraph to the MVCC page instead.

- Cut down the page to a tiny portion.

- Divide it into two parts: a) a short introduction and b) the rest
after a statement like 'The following offers more details and parameters
that are more interesting for an experienced user than for a beginner.
You can easily skip it.'

> Your material is more of an overview of the whole system.  What's a
> new user supposed to do with that?

When I dive into a new subject, I'm more interested in its architecture
than in its details. We shall offer an overview about the major PG
components and strategies to beginners.

--

Jürgen Purtz

Date:
On 30.04.20 14:31, Jürgen Purtz wrote:
> On 29.04.20 21:12, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>
>> I don't see this really as belonging into the tutorial.  The tutorial
>> should be hands-on, how do you get started, how do you get some results.
>>
> Yes, the tutorial should be a short overview and give instructions how
> to start. IMO the first 4 sub-chapters fulfill this expectation.
> Indeed, the fifth (VACUUM) is extensive and offers many details.
>
> During the inspection of the existing documentation I recognized that
> there are many details about VACUUM, AUTOVACUUM, all of their
> parameters as well as their behavior. But the information is spread
> across many pages: Automatic Vacuuming, Client Connection Defaults,
> Routine Vacuuming, Resource Consumption, VACUUM. Even for a person
> with some pre-knowledge it is hard to get an overview how this fits
> together and why things are solved in exactly this way. In the end we
> have very good descriptions of all details but I miss the 'big
> picture'. Therefore I summarized central aspects and tried to give an
> answer to the question 'why is it done in this way?'. I do not dispute
> that the current version of the page is not adequate for beginners.
> But at some place we should have such a summary about vacuuming and
> freezing.
>
> How to proceed?
>
> - Remove the page and add a short paragraph to the MVCC page instead.
>
> - Cut down the page to a tiny portion.
>
> - Divide it into two parts: a) a short introduction and b) the rest
> after a statement like 'The following offers more details and
> parameters that are more interesting for an experienced user than for
> a beginner. You can easily skip it.'
>

>> Your material is more of an overview of the whole system.  What's a
>> new user supposed to do with that?
>
> When I dive into a new subject, I'm more interested in its
> architecture than in its details. We shall offer an overview about the
> major PG components and strategies to beginners.

In comparison with to previous patch this one contains:

- Position and title changed to reflect its intention and importance.

- A <note> delimits VACUUM basics from details. This is done because I
cannot find another suitable place for such a summarizing description.

- Three additional sub-chapters.

--

Jürgen Purtz

Attachment

Re: Additional Chapter for Tutorial

From
Daniel Gustafsson
Date:
> On 2 Jun 2020, at 17:01, Jürgen Purtz <juergen@purtz.de> wrote:

> In comparison with to previous patch this one contains:
>
> - Position and title changed to reflect its intention and importance.
>
> - A <note> delimits VACUUM basics from details. This is done because I cannot find another suitable place for such a
summarizingdescription.

> - Three additional sub-chapters.

This patch no longer applies, due to conflicts in start.sgml, can you please
submit a rebased version?

cheers ./daniel

Date:
On 12.07.20 22:45, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> This patch no longer applies, due to conflicts in start.sgml, can you please
> submit a rebased version?

ok. but I need some days.  juergen

Re: Additional Chapter for Tutorial

From
Naresh gandi
Date:
Which version is this application for?

I tried for v12 and v13 Beta, both failed.

Regards,
Naresh G

Date:
> On 13 Jul 2020, at 14:20, Naresh gandi <naresh5310@gmail.com> wrote:

(please avoid top-posting)

> Which version is this application for?
>
> I tried for v12 and v13 Beta, both failed.

Unless being a bugfix, all patches are only considered against the main
development branch in Git. As this is new material, it would be for v14.

cheers ./daniel

Date:
On 12.07.20 22:45, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

> This patch no longer applies, due to conflicts in start.sgml, can you please
> submit a rebased version?
>
> cheers ./daniel

New version attached.

--

Date:
On 2020-07-17 11:32, Jürgen Purtz wrote:
> On 12.07.20 22:45, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>>
>> This patch no longer applies, due to conflicts in start.sgml, can you
>> please
>> submit a rebased version?
>>
>> cheers ./daniel
>>
> New version attached.
>
> [0005-architecture.patch]

Hi,

I went through the architecture.sgml file once, and accumulated the
attached edits.

There are still far too many Unneeded Capitals On Words for my taste but
I have not changed many of those. We could use some more opinions on
that, I suppose. (if it becomes too silent maybe include the
pgsql-hackers again?)

Thanks,

Erik Rijkers

Date:
On 18.07.20 19:17, Erik Rijkers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I went through the architecture.sgml file once, and accumulated the
> attached edits.
>
> There are still far too many Unneeded Capitals On Words for my taste
> but I have not changed many of those. We could use some more opinions
> on that, I suppose. (if it becomes too silent maybe include the
> pgsql-hackers again?)
>
> Thanks,
>

> Erik Rijkers

The attached patch contains:

- integration of Erik's suggestions

- coordination of terms in text, graphic and glossary

- some changes in upper-case usage

- fewer usage of <firstterm> with two exceptions: The first chapter 4.1
emphasize all important terms to help beginners in their learning
process; chapter 4.5. emphasize the term 'autovacuum' to straighten the
fact that - despite its similarities - the tool autovacuum is something
else than the SQL command vacuum.

--

Jürgen Purtz

Attachment

RE: Additional Chapter for Tutorial

From
PASCAL CROZET

Hi all,

I want to import XML file into PG database table.

I've find functions to get the XML content of a cell after imported an XML file with the pg_get_file function.

But, I want to explode the XML content to colums. How can I do this ?

PG 10 under Ubuntu 18

_________________________________

Cordialement, Pascal CROZET

DBA - Qualis Consulting
 300 Route Nationale 6 – 69760 LIMONEST

_________________________________

Re: Additional Chapter for Tutorial

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Again, I don't see how this belongs into the tutorial.  It is mostly
advanced low-level information that is irrelevant for someone starting
up, it is not hands-on, so quite unlike the rest of the tutorial, and
for the most part the information just duplicates what is already
explained elsewhere.

Date:
On 01.09.20 23:30, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> It is mostly advanced low-level information that is irrelevant for
> someone starting up,

That applies only to the VACUUM chapter. VACUUM and AUTOVACUUM are
controlled by a lot of parameters. Therefor the current documentation
concerning the two mechanism spreads the description across different
pages (20.4, 25.1, VACUUM command). Because of the structure of our
documentation that's ok. But we should have a summary page somewhere -
not necessarily in the tutorial.

> the most part the information just duplicates what is already
> explained elsewhere.

That is the nature of a tutorial respectively a summary.

--

J. Purtz

Date:
On 2020-09-02 09:04, Jürgen Purtz wrote:
> On 01.09.20 23:30, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> It is mostly advanced low-level information that is irrelevant for
>> someone starting up,
> That applies only to the VACUUM chapter. VACUUM and AUTOVACUUM are
> controlled by a lot of parameters. Therefor the current documentation
> concerning the two mechanism spreads the description across different
> pages (20.4, 25.1, VACUUM command). Because of the structure of our
> documentation that's ok. But we should have a summary page somewhere -
> not necessarily in the tutorial.

There is probably room for improvement, but the section numbers you
mention are not about VACUUM, AFAICT, so I can't really comment on what
you have in mind.

Date:
On 10.09.20 18:26, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 2020-09-02 09:04, Jürgen Purtz wrote:
>> On 01.09.20 23:30, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> It is mostly advanced low-level information that is irrelevant for
>>> someone starting up,
>> That applies only to the VACUUM chapter. VACUUM and AUTOVACUUM are
>> controlled by a lot of parameters. Therefor the current documentation
>> concerning the two mechanism spreads the description across different
>> pages (20.4, 25.1, VACUUM command). Because of the structure of our
>> documentation that's ok. But we should have a summary page somewhere -
>> not necessarily in the tutorial.
>
> There is probably room for improvement, but the section numbers you
> mention are not about VACUUM, AFAICT, so I can't really comment on
> what you have in mind.

Because of the additional chapter for the 'tutorial' on my local
computer, the numbers increased for me. The regular chapter numbers are
19.4 and 24.1. Sorry for the confusion. In detail:

19.4: parameters to configure the server, especially five parameters
'vacuum_cost_xxx'.

19.10: parameters to configure autovacuum.

19.11: parameters to configure client connections, especially five
parameters 'vacuum_xxx' concerning their freeze-behavior.

24.1: explains the general necessity of (auto)vacuum and their strategies.

The page about the SQL command VACUUM explains the different options
(FULL, FREEZE, ..) and their meaning.

--

Jürgen Purtz

Re: Additional Chapter for Tutorial

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 12:04 AM Jürgen Purtz <juergen@purtz.de> wrote:
On 01.09.20 23:30, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> It is mostly advanced low-level information that is irrelevant for
> someone starting up,

That applies only to the VACUUM chapter. VACUUM and AUTOVACUUM are
controlled by a lot of parameters. Therefor the current documentation
concerning the two mechanism spreads the description across different
pages (20.4, 25.1, VACUUM command). Because of the structure of our
documentation that's ok. But we should have a summary page somewhere -
not necessarily in the tutorial.

> the most part the information just duplicates what is already
> explained elsewhere.

That is the nature of a tutorial respectively a summary.

I've begun looking at this and have included quite a few html comments within the patch.  However, the two main items that I have found so far are:

One, I agree with Peter that this seems misplaced in Tutorial.  I would create a new Internals Chapter and place this material there, or maybe consider a sub-chapter under "Overview of PostgreSQL Internals".  If this is deemed to be of a more primary importance than the content in the Internals section I would recommend placing it in Reference.  I feel it does fit there and given the general importance of that section readers will be inclined to click into it and skim over its content.

Two, I find the amount of detail being provided here to be on the too-much side.  A bit more judicious use of links into the appropriate detail chapters seems warranted.

I took a pretty heavy hand to the original section though aside from the scope comment it can probably be considered a bit weighted toward style preferences.  Though I did note/rewrite a couple of things that seemed factually incorrect - and seemingly not done intentionally in the interest of simplification.  Specifically the client connection process and, I think, the relationship between the checkpointer and background writer.

I do like the idea and the general flow of the material so far - though I haven't really looked at the overall structure yet, just started reading and editing from the top of the new file.

I've attached the original 0007 patch and my diff against it applied to HEAD.

Took a quick peek at the image (at the end) and while I will need a second pass over this section regardless I figured I'd provide this subset of feedback now in order to move things along a bit.

David J.

Date:
On 21.10.20 22:33, David G. Johnston wrote:
I've begun looking at this and have included quite a few html comments within the patch.  However, the two main items that I have found so far are:

One, I agree with Peter that this seems misplaced in Tutorial.  I would create a new Internals Chapter and place this material there, or maybe consider a sub-chapter under "Overview of PostgreSQL Internals".  If this is deemed to be of a more primary importance than the content in the Internals section I would recommend placing it in Reference.  I feel it does fit there and given the general importance of that section readers will be inclined to click into it and skim over its content.

I like the idea of dividing the material into two different chapters. The existing part "I. Tutorial" contains the first concrete steps: installation, creating database and database objects, using SQL basic and advanced features. Its typical audience consists of persons doing their first steps with PG. The new material is aimed at persons interested in implementation aspects of PG. Therefore, the part "VII. Internals" seems to be the natural place to integrate it, something like "Architecture and Implementation Aspects" or "Architecture and Implementation Cornerstones".

Creating such a chapter in "VII. Internals" will increase the existing chapter numbers 50 - 71, which may lead to some confusion. On the other hand the content can possibly be applied to all supported PG versions at the same time, which will lead to a consistent behavior. Extending one of the existing chapters won't work because all of them handle their own topic, eg.: "50. Overview of PostgreSQL Internals" (misleading title?) focuses on the handling of SQL statements from parsing to execution.

What are your thoughts?

--

J. Purtz

Date:
On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 6:58 AM Jürgen Purtz <juergen@purtz.de> wrote:

Creating such a chapter in "VII. Internals" will increase the existing chapter numbers 50 - 71, which may lead to some confusion. On the other hand the content can possibly be applied to all supported PG versions at the same time, which will lead to a consistent behavior. Extending one of the existing chapters won't work because all of them handle their own topic, eg.: "50. Overview of PostgreSQL Internals" (misleading title?) focuses on the handling of SQL statements from parsing to execution.

What are your thoughts?

v14 has already added a new chapter, installation from binaries.  It was not back-patched.  To my knowledge no one brought up these points - numbers changing or back-patching the new material.  I don't see that this enhancement needs to be treated any differently.

David J.

Date:
[...]

The attached patch is an intermediate, mostly formal step. It includes:

- Moving the chapter to "Part VII. Internals".

- Changing the title of the current chapter "Chapter 50. Overview of PostgreSQL Internals" to "Overview of Query Handling" because the old title is too generic. This chapter is focused on the handling of queries.

- Integration of David's smaller suggestions. For the more important suggestions I need some days.

The patch is intended to give every interested person an overall impression of the chapter within its new position. Because it has moved from part 'Tutorial' to 'Internals' the text should be very accurate concerning technical issues - like all the other chapters in this part. A tutorial chapter has a more superficial nature.

--

J. Purtz

Attachment

Re: Additional Chapter for Tutorial

From
Erik Rijkers
Date:
Hi Jürgen,

What's going to happen with this work?

If you intend to have it eventually committed, I think it will be
necessary to make the patches smaller, and bring them into the
commitfest app, so that others can follow progress.

I for one, cannot see/remember/understand what has been done, or even
whether you intend to continue with it.

Thanks,

Erik

Date:
> Hi Jürgen,
>
> What's going to happen with this work?
>
> If you intend to have it eventually committed, I think it will be
> necessary to make the patches smaller, and bring them into the
> commitfest app, so that others can follow progress.
>
> I for one, cannot see/remember/understand what has been done, or even
> whether you intend to continue with it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Erik

Peter changed the status to 'Returned with feedback' at the end of the
last commit fest. I'm not absolutely sure, but my understanding is that
the patch is rejected.

--

Jürgen Purtz