Re: Additional Chapter for Tutorial - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Erik Rijkers
Subject Re: Additional Chapter for Tutorial
Date
List pgsql-docs
On 2020-04-17 19:56, Jürgen Purtz wrote:
> Our documentation explains many details about commands, tools,
> parameters in detail and with high accuracy. Nevertheless my
> impression is that we neglect the 'big picture': why certain processes

> [0001-architecture.patch]

Very good stuff, and useful. I think.

I mean that but nevertheless here is a lot of comment :)

(I didn't fully compile as docs, just read the 'text' from the patch
file)

Collabortion
Collaboration

drop 'resulting'

He acts in close cooperation with the
It acts in close cooperation with the

He loads the configuration files, allocates the
It loads the configuration files, allocates the

process</firstterm>. He checks the authorization, starts a
process</firstterm>. it checks the authorization, starts a

and instructs the client application to connect to him. All further
and instructs the client application to connect to it. All further

by him.
by it.

In an first attempt
In a first attempt

much huger than memory, it's likely that
much larger than memory, it's likely that

RAM is performed in units of complete pages while retaining
RAM is performed in units of complete pages, retaining

Sooner or later it is necessary to overwrite old RAM
Sooner or later it becomes necessary to overwrite old RAM

transfered
transferred
   (multiple times)

who runs
which runs

He writes
it writes

This is the primarily duty of the
This is primarily the duty of the
   or possibly:
This is the primary duty of the

he starts periodically
it starts periodically

speeds up a possibly occurring recovery.
can speed up recovery.

writen
written

collects counter about accesses
collects counters about accesses

and others. He stores the obtained information in system
and more. It stores the obtained information in system

sudirectories consists
subdirectories consist  <-- plural, no -s

there are information
there is information

and contains the ID of the
and contains the ID (pid) of the

( IMHO, it is conventional (and therefore easier to read) to have 'e.g.'
followed by a comma, and not by a semi-colon, although obviously that's
not really wrong either. )

Thanks,

Erik Rijkers