MS Access Frontend

From
"Jason L. Amerson"

I am trying to setup MS Access as a frontend so that it would be easier on my wife and children to interact with PostgreSQL. I looked online for some tutorials but the ones I found are out-date or only pick up after Access is connected to PostgreSQL. I was wondering if someone knew of some updated material that they could point me to or maybe walk me through it. I have used Access quite a bit years ago and things have changed since then. I know I must install the ODBC drivers, which I have already done. I have already setup the DSN and I clicked on test and it says everything is fine. I know that my next step has something to do with Linked Tables in Access, but I am not sure how to set it up. I guess that is where I start to need help. The client computers using the frontend will be running Windows 10 and Office 365, both are updated to the latest versions.

Thank you,

Jason L. Amerson

Attachment

Re: MS Access Frontend

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 11/29/19 9:23 AM, Jason L. Amerson wrote:
> I am trying to setup MS Access as a frontend so that it would be easier
> on my wife and children to interact with PostgreSQL. I looked online for
> some tutorials but the ones I found are out-date or only pick up after
> Access is connected to PostgreSQL. I was wondering if someone knew of
> some updated material that they could point me to or maybe walk me
> through it. I have used Access quite a bit years ago and things have
> changed since then. I know I must install the ODBC drivers, which I have
> already done. I have already setup the DSN and I clicked on test and it
> says everything is fine. I know that my next step has something to do
> with Linked Tables in Access, but I am not sure how to set it up. I
> guess that is where I start to need help. The client computers using the
> frontend will be running Windows 10 and Office 365, both are updated to
> the latest versions.

This might help:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Manage-linked-tables-1d9346d6-953d-4f85-a9ce-4caec2262797

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: MS Access Frontend

From
Tim Clarke
Date:
On 29/11/2019 17:30, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 11/29/19 9:23 AM, Jason L. Amerson wrote:
>> I am trying to setup MS Access as a frontend so that it would be
>> easier on my wife and children to interact with PostgreSQL. I looked
>> online for some tutorials but the ones I found are out-date or only
>> pick up after Access is connected to PostgreSQL. I was wondering if
>> someone knew of some updated material that they could point me to or
>> maybe walk me through it. I have used Access quite a bit years ago
>> and things have changed since then. I know I must install the ODBC
>> drivers, which I have already done. I have already setup the DSN and
>> I clicked on test and it says everything is fine. I know that my next
>> step has something to do with Linked Tables in Access, but I am not
>> sure how to set it up. I guess that is where I start to need help.
>> The client computers using the frontend will be running Windows 10
>> and Office 365, both are updated to the latest versions.
>
> This might help:
>
> https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Manage-linked-tables-1d9346d6-953d-4f85-a9ce-4caec2262797
>

>> Thank you,
>>
>> Jason L. Amerson

That will help you manage once you have created some linked tables, but
to create them:

1) Click "External Data" from the top Access menu, then "New data
source" on the left

2) Pick "From other sources" at the bottom and as you correctly
identified "ODBC Database".

3) From the dialogue box, change the default of the two options to the
bottom one "Link....by creating linked table"

4) Next pick your created DSN from the "Select data source" dialog

5) You should then see the list of tables etc from your Postgres database

Troubleshooting; make sure you have an ODBC 32 or 64 bit version
matching the 32 or 64 bit MS Access installed.

If you use any security at the MS Access level you will need to set up a
simultaneously shared central system.mdw file in some repository. Don't
try to get more than 6-7 people using this at the same time, it breaks.

Good luck.

--
Tim Clarke
IT Director

Telephone: Witham: +44(0)1376 503500 | London: +44 (0)20 3009 0853 | Frankfurt: +49 (0)69 7191 6000 | Hong Kong: +852
58031687 | Toronto: +1 647 503 2848
Web: https://www.manifest.co.uk/

Minerva Analytics Ltd - A Solactive Company
9 Freebournes Court | Newland Street | Witham | Essex | CM8 2BL | United Kingdom

________________________________

Copyright: This e-mail may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the named addressee
youmust not use or disclose such information, instead please report it to admin@minerva.info<mailto:admin@minerva.info>
Legal: Minerva Analytics is the trading name of: Minerva Analytics Ltd: Registered in England Number 11260966 & The
ManifestVoting Agency Ltd: Registered in England Number 2920820 Registered Office at above address. Please Click Here
https://www.manifest.co.uk/legal/for further information.

Re: MS Access Frontend

From
Tim Clarke
Date:
On 30/11/2019 19:04, Jason L. Amerson wrote:

Thanks Martin. I have decided to go another route. I have nothing but problems whenever I use Microsoft products. I personally think that Microsoft was shit when it started, and it is still shit 35 years later. So, I am just going to take Windows off my computers and put Linux on them and just use a different client.

Jason L. Amerson

+1

Libreoffice has a quick and easy database front end. Not great but functional and effort free.

--
Tim Clarke

Date:
On 11/30/19 3:15 AM, Tim Clarke wrote:
> On 29/11/2019 17:30, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 11/29/19 9:23 AM, Jason L. Amerson wrote:
>>> I am trying to setup MS Access as a frontend so that it would be
>>> easier on my wife and children to interact with PostgreSQL. I looked
>>> online for some tutorials but the ones I found are out-date or only
>>> pick up after Access is connected to PostgreSQL. I was wondering if
>>> someone knew of some updated material that they could point me to or
>>> maybe walk me through it. I have used Access quite a bit years ago
>>> and things have changed since then. I know I must install the ODBC
>>> drivers, which I have already done. I have already setup the DSN and
>>> I clicked on test and it says everything is fine. I know that my next
>>> step has something to do with Linked Tables in Access, but I am not
>>> sure how to set it up. I guess that is where I start to need help.
>>> The client computers using the frontend will be running Windows 10
>>> and Office 365, both are updated to the latest versions.
>>
>> This might help:
>>
>> https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Manage-linked-tables-1d9346d6-953d-4f85-a9ce-4caec2262797
>>

>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Jason L. Amerson
>>>

> That will help you manage once you have created some linked tables, but
> to create them:

Which is covered in the above:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Manage-linked-tables-1d9346d6-953d-4f85-a9ce-4caec2262797#bkmk_add

> 1) Click "External Data" from the top Access menu, then "New data
> source" on the left
>
> 2) Pick "From other sources" at the bottom and as you correctly
> identified "ODBC Database".
>
> 3) From the dialogue box, change the default of the two options to the
> bottom one "Link....by creating linked table"
>
> 4) Next pick your created DSN from the "Select data source" dialog
>
> 5) You should then see the list of tables etc from your Postgres database
>
> Troubleshooting; make sure you have an ODBC 32 or 64 bit version
> matching the 32 or 64 bit MS Access installed.
>
> If you use any security at the MS Access level you will need to set up a
> simultaneously shared central system.mdw file in some repository. Don't
> try to get more than 6-7 people using this at the same time, it breaks.
>
> Good luck.
>

> --
> Tim Clarke
> IT Director
> Direct: +44 (0)1376 504510 | Mobile: +44 (0)7887 563420
>

> Telephone: Witham: +44(0)1376 503500 | London: +44 (0)20 3009 0853 | Frankfurt: +49 (0)69 7191 6000 | Hong Kong: +852
58031687 | Toronto: +1 647 503 2848

> Web: https://www.manifest.co.uk/
>

> Minerva Analytics Ltd - A Solactive Company
> 9 Freebournes Court | Newland Street | Witham | Essex | CM8 2BL | United Kingdom
>
> ________________________________
>
> Copyright: This e-mail may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the named addressee
youmust not use or disclose such information, instead please report it to
admin@minerva.info<mailto:admin@minerva.info>
> Legal: Minerva Analytics is the trading name of: Minerva Analytics Ltd: Registered in England Number 11260966 & The
ManifestVoting Agency Ltd: Registered in England Number 2920820 Registered Office at above address. Please Click Here
https://www.manifest.co.uk/legal/for further information.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: MS Access Frontend

From
Martin Mueller
Date:
Leaving aside the question of money, a frontend like AquaData Studio or the equivalent program by Jetbrains would be a
muchbetter solution. I used to work with Access a lot and quite liked it. But AquaData Studio is not any more difficult
tolearn and gives you access to everything Postgress can do.

I haven't used the Jetbrains version, which is cheaper.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__support.office.com_en-2Dus_article_Manage-2Dlinked-2Dtables-2D1d9346d6-2D953d-2D4f85-2Da9ce-2D4caec2262797&d=DwIC-g&c=yHlS04HhBraes5BQ9ueu5zKhE7rtNXt_d012z2PA6ws&r=rG8zxOdssqSzDRz4x1GLlmLOW60xyVXydxwnJZpkxbk&m=q2mFiQLD3Q0WGNcvV6_A-Jva78TI-_O-TJQkuVHqU_Y&s=n5gUTTvGiefsNhxsv4WNKTOok9pQSRe9TVdcXwWPjbI&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__support.office.com_en-2Dus_article_Manage-2Dlinked-2Dtables-2D1d9346d6-2D953d-2D4f85-2Da9ce-2D4caec2262797-23bkmk-5Fadd&d=DwIC-g&c=yHlS04HhBraes5BQ9ueu5zKhE7rtNXt_d012z2PA6ws&r=rG8zxOdssqSzDRz4x1GLlmLOW60xyVXydxwnJZpkxbk&m=q2mFiQLD3Q0WGNcvV6_A-Jva78TI-_O-TJQkuVHqU_Y&s=pDhZ2CyGXAtJ2gOO7qDxiTFYvLGWbW1y-b8KRfDaK5E&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.manifest.co.uk_&d=DwIC-g&c=yHlS04HhBraes5BQ9ueu5zKhE7rtNXt_d012z2PA6ws&r=rG8zxOdssqSzDRz4x1GLlmLOW60xyVXydxwnJZpkxbk&m=q2mFiQLD3Q0WGNcvV6_A-Jva78TI-_O-TJQkuVHqU_Y&s=yyQ5fbd8EgtdPmHpuM9zaCn-ZVfurKRUUMinpN3JQuI&e=

    > Minerva Analytics Ltd - A Solactive Company
    > 9 Freebournes Court | Newland Street | Witham | Essex | CM8 2BL | United Kingdom
    >
    > ________________________________
    >
    > Copyright: This e-mail may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the named
addresseeyou must not use or disclose such information, instead please report it to
admin@minerva.info<mailto:admin@minerva.info>
    > Legal: Minerva Analytics is the trading name of: Minerva Analytics Ltd: Registered in England Number 11260966 &
TheManifest Voting Agency Ltd: Registered in England Number 2920820 Registered Office at above address. Please Click
Here
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.manifest.co.uk_legal_&d=DwIC-g&c=yHlS04HhBraes5BQ9ueu5zKhE7rtNXt_d012z2PA6ws&r=rG8zxOdssqSzDRz4x1GLlmLOW60xyVXydxwnJZpkxbk&m=q2mFiQLD3Q0WGNcvV6_A-Jva78TI-_O-TJQkuVHqU_Y&s=Feq9uaUTpmf5lF-gisHmsk_MNn-Q0hlJ2DiZXvdXb3I&e=
for further information.

    --
    Adrian Klaver
    adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: MS Access Frontend

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 11/30/19 11:04 AM, Jason L. Amerson wrote:
> Thanks Martin. I have decided to go another route. I have nothing but
> problems whenever I use Microsoft products. I personally think that
> Microsoft was shit when it started, and it is still shit 35 years later.
> So, I am just going to take Windows off my computers and put Linux on
> them and just use a different client.

I'm a Linux user and I applaud your move. Just be aware you will not
find an Access replacement on Linux. You will find things that have
subsets of its functionality, but not a drop in replacement.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

RE: MS Access Frontend